As everyone knows, the chat created yet more drama with the nominations of a few users to become chat mods. In recent days that followed, it has become painfully obvious that there is no communication between anyone and that several systems on this site do not work.
I am proposing this: we overhaul the whole wiki and implement major changes to ensure that we can get along without problems every single month.
Please read on.
Stage One: Rights Evaluation
At this point, we have a bunch of people with rights that they do not use. This bloats the staff list pointlessly with inactive users. There is also the issue that some users treat the flags as status symbols. Let me spell this out to everyone here:
Flags are NOT status symbols. They are flags to provide a user with tools to moderate the wiki. Stop treating them as if they bear meaning to anything about the wiki and stop treating flags as if you can't lose them. This is a wiki, not a democracy.
The following is a list of users who need their rights updated / removed:
- Mbjones90 - Doesn't need crat or sysop flags, hasn't visited the wiki in 3 years.
- URL - Global bot, so doesn't need a separate bot flag, nor sysop.
- Veetor-Bot III - Has bot flag, does not need sysop.
- Annonnimus - Does nothing as a sysop, last edit was 2 years ago.
- GramsJ - Last edit and visit was 2 years ago, doesn't need sysop flag.
- HaLo2FrEeEk - Last edit was made over 1.5 years ago, does nothing as a sysop.
- Zluhcs - Last edit was made about 6-7 months ago, could be kept but should be removed if doesn't need sysop.
- Elchzard - Last edit and visit made 2 months ago, do not know if sysop flag needs to be kept.
- Gheart - Last edit was made 2 years ago, doesn't need rollback flag.
- Sactage - Is already VSTF, rollback is implied by default.
- G0LD3NF1RE - Last edit and visit made a few months ago, hasn't been active in a while so doesn't need custodian or rollback.
- Pelinal Whitestrake - Indicated to have left chat, does not need chat moderator flag. User can confirm if he wishes this.
- Ikabite - Hasn't been in chat for a while now, may have left chat, so doesn't need chat moderator flag. User can confirm if he wishes this.
Please do NOT use support/oppose templates against ANY of these users. With the exception of Pelinal Whitestrake and Ikabite, none of the other users or bots require the specified flags any longer. Posts containing support/oppose votes for these users will be removed without warning. This is not a community re-evaluation of any of the aforemented users.
Stage Two: Remove Community Nominations
We do not need community nominations for ANY rights. As I stated above, flags are not a status symbol, so the community should not be involved in any promotion requests for flags. The only time this should happen is when someone is being nominated for bureaucrat flag.
Flags should be granted on a basis of need, NOT a consensus. For example, if a sysop (we should use the proper name, not admin) is being persistently asked to delete articles or block users by a particular user, that user should be asked if he/she wants to be given the sysop flag, so he/she can do the blocks themselves. Conversely, if he/she does not request sysops to block users or remove articles, that user should NOT be promoted, as he/she does NOT need these tools.
One thing that has worked on Narutopedia is to make the rollback flag "viral". By this, existing rollbackers are able to give the flag to other users if they deem it necessary to others: they are not able to remove the flag however. This should be considered for chat moderators and rollbacks on this wiki, as part of removing the community nominations.
Stage Three: Re-Evaluate ALL staff
The re-evaluations should be done in private and should not be based just on how many edits the user has. The evaluation should take into consideration a number of things, such as:
- What has the user brought to the wiki to improve it?
- Is the user respected and liked within the community?
- What is their behaviour like? Have they abused the tools given to them?
- Have they:
- Visited the wiki in the last 30 days?
- Made an edit to improve the wiki in the last 30 days?
The number of times I have seen a user keep their rights just because of what they've done in the past is ludicrous. If a user has left the wiki, why the heck do they continue to possess tools they don't even use?
Also, if a user has not made an edit or visited in the wiki in the last 30 days, they should be revoked of the flag so that the list is current and fresh. This should NOT happen to users who have stated that they will be away for a period of time, but this should NOT be abused to keep rights indefinitely (in the case of Jett Cyber).
Stage Four: Introduce Specific Sysops
We should have sysops who are given the rights for a reason. For example, Flightmare is the wiki's chief coder and therefore, he is a sysop for helping with coding aspects.
To lead from this, we should have sysops who are dedicated to the community. As such, I am proposing we have the following new positions within the sysop flag:
- Forum Admin
- Chat Admin
- Blog Admin
These users would, in effect, be the people who are tasked with controlling the forums, chat and blog. As we all know, none of the sysops here care for managing any of these features, so this would allow for a user to be tasked with managing them and keeping them updated and useful.
Stage Five: Remove Coloured Names
This incites the need to make people feel better about themselves and ties in with the above bold message that users treat flags as a status symbol. Rights are not statuses: they are just a way to give users the tools they need to improve the wiki. Despite that, many users here feel that the coloured names are useful, so maybe these colourings should only be applied in the forums and on the Special:WikiActivity page and not in the rest of the wiki.
Please discuss below. Thank you.