Apart from the Aetherium Crest which is assembled during the quest, all other materials to craft the shield can be found in the Aetherium Forge room on tables to the left and right of the forge.
The Aetherial Shield can be upgraded at a workbench with a Dwarven Metal Ingot and the Arcane Blacksmith perk. However, it does not benefit from any Smithing perks. This means the shield cannot be improved past flawless quality without boosting the Smithing skill over 100. This can be achieved by using enchanted items and/or blacksmithing potions to Fortify Smithing.
Bashing with this shield triggers this enchantment:
The enchantment makes the target unable to attack or be attacked, rendering them both invincible and unable to cause damage to the player, while also causing them to flee, as though they were under the influence of a Fear spell. Both effects occur regardless of the enemy's level. However, healing spells (whether cast by enemy mages against themselves or the player against enemies) will end the effect, restoring visibility and making them susceptible to damage again. Power bashing with the Disarming Bash perk unlocked or using the Shield Charge perk from the Block tree will not trigger the enchantment.
- The shield bears a similar appearance to a Dwarven Shield, but with the large Aetherium decal in the center and the Aetherium gems aligned around the decorations on the shield.
- Although the shield's effect work on giants, it does not work on dragons.
- With the shield in the inventory or equipped, the Dragonborn may encounter Taron Dreth, who will ask the Dragonborn for information about the shield. He will attack with his 3 mercenaries regardless of whatever the Dragonborn responds with.
This section contains bugs related to Aetherial Shield. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- The enchantment might stop working. If this occurs one should un-equip and re-equip the shield to fix it.
- confirmation needed
If the Dragonborn walks out of the Soul Cairn wearing the shield, the shield may slowly kill the Dragonborn with the same animation as the Soul Cairn Life Drain. The shield will apply its Become Ethereal enchantment on the Dragonborn.
- confirmation needed This can be resolved by walking into the Soul Cairn, dropping the shield, then walking out. When the shield is recovered, however, it will appear to be a normal dwemer shield.