Background[edit | edit source]
Objectives[edit | edit source]
- Close the Rupture
- Return to Tolfdir
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
The location of the anomaly may vary each time the quest is done. When the Dragonborn arrives, an anomaly is found spawning Magic Anomalies which are highly resistant to magic. The Dragonborn must defeat all of the apparitions to close the anomaly. Despite Tolfdir's recommendation to bring the Staff of Magnus, the Staff is not actually needed and, in some cases, seems to have no effect at all.
Possible locations[edit | edit source]
The locations of the rifts creating the magic anomalies are always in one of three locations of one of the nine holds, and most are sufficiently away from any location that they cannot be directly fast travelled to.
The coordinates of these locations are the following:
|Click to show|
Repeating[edit | edit source]
Every three days, Tolfdir can be asked about any tasks that need completing. He then marks the map with the location of a new rupture. Alternatively, when traversing the world, a rupture can be found, and closing it will automatically start the quest.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
The Jarls are paying the College of Winterhold for clearing out the anomalies throughout Skyrim. As Arch-Mage, the Dragonborn receives a leveled amount of from 500 to 1,500 each time this quest is completed. However, if the location of the magic anomalies were in Winterhold Hold then there will be no reward, as the inhabitants of Winterhold are already displeased with the College.
Journal[edit | edit source]
|Aftershock – MGR30|
|10||There have been reports of some sort of magical anomaly in Skyrim. Tolfdir fears it is a side-effect of Ancano's meddling with the Eye of Magnus, and has asked that I look into it. He suggested I take the Staff of Magnus with me, just in case.
|20||I have found and shut down the magical anomaly Tolfdir was worried about. I should return to him and let him know it's been dealt with.
|200||A magical anomaly was reported in Skyrim; it seems to have been connected to Ancano's meddling with the Eye of Magnus. I successfully shut it down before it could become a greater problem.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although Tolfdir recommends that the player bring the Staff of Magnus, it is not required to complete the quest.
- The player may encounter Magic Anomalies after completing the Eye of Magnus without accepting "Aftershock" from Tolfdir. The Magic Anomalies will not disappear or change location until they are destroyed.
- High level players can retrieve grand soul gems from Magic Anomalies.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
This section contains bugs related to Aftershock. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- The rupture and anomalies may not appear at the quest marker at all. To fix this bug, simply spawn a few anomalies, kill them and the quest will advance (00053F1D). If this fails, using the command
setstage MGR30 20will advance the player to the end of the quest.
- This is often caused when the rupture randomly spawns intersecting water.
- The rupture may spawn underwater, rendering the quest impossible to complete due to the fact that no anomalies appear.
- The rupture may spawn randomly causing the quest to start giving the objective of "Return to Tolfdir."