- Close the Rupture
- Return to Tolfdir
The location of the anomaly may vary each time the quest is done. When the Dragonborn arrives, an anomaly is found spawning Magic Anomalies which are highly resistant to magic. The Dragonborn must defeat all of the apparitions to close the anomaly. Despite Tolfdir's recommendation to bring the Staff of Magnus, the Staff is not actually needed and, in some cases, seems to have no effect at all.
The Jarls are paying the College of Winterhold for clearing out the anomalies throughout Skyrim. As Arch-Mage, the Dragonborn receives a scaled amount of gold, described as a share, of 500 – 1,500 each time this quest is completed. However, if the aftershock was in Winterhold Hold then there will be no reward, as the inhabitants of Winterhold are already angry enough with the College.
Every three days, Tolfdir can be asked about any tasks that need completing. He then marks the map with the location of a new rupture. Alternatively, when traversing the world, a rupture can be found, and closing it will automatically start the quest.
|Aftershock – MGR30|
|10||There have been reports of some sort of magical anomaly in Skyrim. Tolfdir fears it is a side-effect of Ancano's meddling with the Eye of Magnus, and has asked that I look into it. He suggested I take the Staff of Magnus with me, just in case.
|20||I have found and shut down the magical anomaly Tolfdir was worried about. I should return to him and let him know it's been dealt with.
|200||A magical anomaly was reported in Skyrim; it seems to have been connected to Ancano's meddling with the Eye of Magnus. I successfully shut it down before it could become a greater problem.
- Although Tolfdir recommends that the player bring the Staff of Magnus, it is not required to complete the quest.
- The player may encounter Magic Anomalies after completing the Eye of Magnus without accepting "Aftershock" from Tolfdir. The Magic Anomalies will not disappear or change location until they are destroyed.
- High level players can retrieve grand soul gems from Magic Anomalies.
This section contains bugs related to Aftershock. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- The rupture and anomalies may not appear at the quest marker at all. To fix this bug, simply spawn a few anomalies, kill them and the quest will advance (00053F1D). If this fails, using the command
setstage MGR30 20will advance the player to the end of the quest.
- This is often caused when the rupture randomly spawns intersecting water.
- The rupture may spawn underwater, rendering the quest impossible to complete due to the fact that no anomalies appear.
- The rupture may spawn randomly causing the quest to start giving the objective of "Return to Tolfdir."
|College of Winterhold Quests|
|Main Quest||First Lessons • Under Saarthal • Hitting the Books • Good Intentions|
Revealing the Unseen • Containment • The Staff of Magnus • The Eye of Magnus
|Side Quests||Arniel's Endeavor • J'zargo's Experiment • Brelyna's Practice|
Onmund's Request • Out of Balance • Rejoining the College
|Master Spell Quests||Alteration Ritual Spell • Destruction Ritual Spell • Conjuration Ritual Spell|
Illusion Ritual Spell • Restoration Ritual Spell
|Radiant Quests||Aftershock • Tolfdir the Absent-Minded • Fetch Me That Book!|
Shalidor's Insights • Enchanting Pick-Up • Restocking Soul Gems
|Other Quests||The Missing Apprentices • Forgotten Names|