An Unpleasant Business is a Daedric Prince quest available in The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. The Agent is sent to destroy a 'thoroughly stupid' vampire ancient whom has displeased the Prince of Pestilence, Peryite.
In their pursuit of more power to aid their quest, the Agent may seek the power of the Daedric Princes. On the 9th of Rain's Hand the Prince of Pestilence Peryite may be summoned, if the Agent agrees to pay a summoner of either a Witch Coven, Mages Guild or a temple.
- Successfully summon Peryite on the 9th of Rain's Hand.
- Speak with Peryite and accept their quest.
- Journey to and enter the dungeon mentioned by Peryite.
- Slay the vampire ancient identified by Peryite.
- Journey to the town mentioned by Peryite.
- Find and speak with Peryite's apostle before the time limit expires.
On the 9th of Rain's Hand the Agent may approach one of the various summoners of the Iliac Bay, either at the Mages Guild, Witch Coven or a Temple. Should the Agent meet their fee then they will summon Peryite, Prince of Pestilence, whom will appear in front of the Agent in the form of a vision. Peryite will then speculate on the Agent's appearance, suggesting that look like some one 'during your First Era', before offering them a quest.
A Petulant Vampire
Peryite reveals that a vampire ancient, a 'thoroughly stupid, unattractive, and mean spirited sort' needs to be destroyed. In return the Agent will be rewarded with Peryite's Spell Breaker, should they destroy the vampire and speak with an apostle of Peryite in a short amount of time. With that, the Agent is given the name of the vampire, its lair, and the location of Peryite's apostle as the Prince disappears.
Inside the vampire's lair, a dungeon in the same region that Peryite was summoned, the Agent will have to track down the vampire ancient. As there may be multiple vampires wandering the halls of the dungeon, the Agent will have to keep slaying the undead beasts until they receive the following notification:
With that, the Agent must escape the dungeon and meet with Peryite's apostle, located in as building in the town mentioned by Peryite. Should the Agent get to them before the time limit expires, the apostle will hand them Spell Breaker and complete the quest.
Completing the quest successfully within the time limit will see the Agent rewarded with Spell Breaker by the Prince's apostle. The Agent will also receive a boost in reputation with the faction whom summoned the Prince for them, as well as the faction's associates. Conversely, failing the quest will result in the Agent losing reputation with the summoner's faction.
The changes made to reputation, either by successfully completing or failing the quest are shown below:
|An Unpleasant Business — 50c00y00|
The Daedra Prince Peryite wants me to go to [dungeon] and slay a vampire named [Anceint vampire's name] After that, I am to meet [Apostle's name] in a place called [building] in [town] to claim the famous Spell Breaker shield. I have [x] days for the whole journey.
- Peryite's apostle will always be a member of the dominant Vampiric bloodline in the region.
- When asked for any news, NPCs have a variety of comments to make referencing the quest:
- Acceptance: "[Ancient vampire's name] of [dungeon], they say, has made powerful enemies as well as friends." or "I met a very nice [Apostle's description] at [building]. Wonder why I never met [him/her] before?"
- Success: "[Ancient vampire's name] they say fancied itself more powerful than the daedra themselves." or "[Ancient vampire's name] got its reward for boasting about its power over life and death."
- Failure: "Old [Ancient vampire's name] moved up north. So I guess we know where plague will follow." or "I hear the Daedra themselves fear [Ancient vampire's name] and its power."
- Peryite's apostle: "They say [Apostle's name] is a very pleasant and charming [Apostle's description], who is also a daedra-worshipper." or "[Apostle's name] is rumored to be Peryite's slave in [region]."
- Spell Breaker: "The Spell Breaker is the ultimate defense against spells." or "Spell Breaker can dispel or even reflect spells back on offensive casters."
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Daedric Princes|
|The Princes||Azura • Boethiah • Clavicus Vile • Hermaeus Mora • Hircine • Malacath • Mehrunes Dagon • Mephala • Meridia • Molag Bal • Namira • Nocturnal • Peryite • Sanguine • Sheogorath • Vaermina|
|Quests||The Perfectly Awful Priest • The Precious Toff • The Lupine Menace • The Scrofulous Patrician • An Obvious Misery • A Little Panikosa • Slaughterer of Frostflesh • The Irksome Official • Ungallant Behavior • The Infernal Sparkcaster • Stepping Stone to Power • My Anesthesia • An Unpleasant Business • The Sanctimonious Monk • An Invitation to Tea • An Innocent Lich|
|Related Factions||Temples • Mages Guild • Witch Covens|