- For the item set, see The Arch-Mage.
An Arch-Mage, also known as Archmagus or Archmagister, is the leader of the Mages Guild, the College of Winterhold, or the College of Whispers. He or she is usually followed around by two apprentices, whom the Arch-Mage trains. The apprentices also help with research. The Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild is elected via majority vote by the Council of Mages.
- Deneth – Arch-Mage of the College of Winterhold during the Great Collapse.
- Gauldur – Arch-Mage of the College during the First Era.
- Geirmund – Arch-Mage of Windhelm during the First Era; successor to Gauldur.
- Savos Aren – Arch-Mage of the College. Successor to Deneth. – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
- Shalidor – Arch-Mage of the College during the First Era.
- Elomion – Arch-Mage of an unspecified location during the First Era.
- Salarth – Arch-Mage of the Mage's Guild, writer of Origin of the Mages Guild
- Taris Rendil – Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild sometime in the Third Era, lived in the Wizard's Tower in the Jerall Mountains
- Opel Dantaine – Arch-Mage of the Arcane University, sometime in the Second Era.
- Hannibal Traven – Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild in Cyrodiil. – The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
- Telenger the Artificer – Co-Arch Mage of the Mages Guild during the Second Era, during the Planemeld.
- Trebonius Artorius – Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild. – The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
- Voa – Arch-Mage of the Mage's Guild – The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
- Jaganvir – Arch-Mage of the Mage's Guild – The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
- Valeyn – Arch-Mage of Shad Astula in Morrowind.
- Vanus Galerion – Founder of the Mages Guild.
- Sedoth – Arch-Mage mentioned in the Midden Incident Report.
Oblivion's Hero of Kvatch may have become Arch-Mage after defeating Mannimarco and his minions, succeeding Hannibal Traven, who sealed his soul inside the Colossal Black Soul Gem to protect the Hero from Mannimarco's spells. Subsequently, Caranya fell to Necromancy and Irlav Jarol died while experimenting with an Ayleid relic, leaving no other apparent candidates for Arch-Mage within the Mages Guild.
Arch-Mage is pronounced two different ways by in-game persons. It can be pronounced with -ch (ex: the word "march") or the -ch pronounced as a -k (ex: the word "mark"); the latter pronunciation is used almost exclusively by Quaranir, as well as other members of the Psijic Order and Altmer like Nirya and Nelacar.
- In Skyrim during "Sovngarde," Tsun asks the Dragonborn why they should be allowed to enter the Hall of Valor. The Dragonborn can reply that they are Arch-Mage of the College.
- On the Great Collapse
- Daynas Valen's Notes
- Geirmund's Epitaph – In this document, Geirmund is called "Arch-Mage" of Windhelm. Because no mage-faction exists in Windhelm, it may be a typo of Winterhold.
- A Minor Maze
- Soul-Trapping I: An Introduction
- Crafting Motif 5: Breton Style
- Events of The Elder Scrolls Online
- Midden Incident Report