As the owner of Goldenglow Estate, Aringoth was targeted for extortion by Maven Black-Briar, in conjunction with the Thieves Guild. He would import the honey for her meadery, and in return Maven would ensure that Goldenglow's honey was the only one profiting in Riften.
However, Aringoth had a sudden change of heart and betrayed Maven and the Thieves Guild by refusing to provide more honey and reporting her to the authorities. Maven then went to Mercer Frey himself and arranged for the guild to retaliate by burning three of Aringoth's beehives and stealing the deed of Goldenglow, leaving him with nothing.
Aringoth can be encountered in the estate, but will not attack the Dragonborn unless they initiate conversation first. If talked to, the player can persuade Aringoth to give the Dragonborn the key to the safe. Otherwise, he will yell "I won't let you take everything I've worked so hard for!" and attempt to kill the player, alerting the mercenaries guarding the estate. He can then be killed with no penalty.
"Worthless mercenaries. I didn't think Maven or Mercer would allow me to get away with this, but I had little choice."
- I just want the key to your safe. "I can't. If I do, I may as well cut my own throat."
- What makes you think I won't? (Persuade)
- "I don't believe you. That's not your way." (Failure)
- "Fine. Take it! Once the new owner finds out I gave in, I'm as good as dead anyway." (Success)
- New owner? What are you talking about? "I've already said too much. I gave you what you came here for, now go. Leave me in peace."
- Then I'll take it off your corpse! "Give it your best shot!"
- Forget it. I'll just open it myself. "No! I'm not about to let you ruin everything I've worked so hard for!"
- "Go, leave me in peace."
- Brynjolf and Vex may refer to him as a Bosmer, but his race in the game is an Altmer. He was most likely intended to be a Bosmer, as evidenced by his name and weaponry.
- Brynjolf tells the Dragonborn not to kill Aringoth unless he tries to stop them. There are no repercussions for killing him either way, though Maven will express disappointment.
- If Aringoth is killed, his coffin can be found in the Hall of the Dead in Riften.