- Talvas Fathryon, when first met outside of Tel Mithryn, will be attempting to summon an Ash Guardian, which the Dragonborn will then have the option of defeating, during the quest "From the Ashes."
- Ildari Sarothril will conjure an Ash Guardian in Highpoint Tower to attack the Dragonborn during the quest "Old Friends."
- Ash Guardians shoot a blast of ash at enemies as a medium-ranged attack, similar to the Steam Attack of a Dwarven Centurion. If the Dragonborn gets too close, they will cast a flame explosion. Its movement, mannerisms, and melee attacks are similar to a Storm Atronach. Ash Guardians will not flee from combat, regardless of their health status.
- When properly conjuring an Ash Guardian using a Heart Stone, the Ash Guardian won't follow the Dragonborn like other Atronachs. Instead it will be bound to the rune that is placed when the Guardian is conjured.
- Ash Guardians are similar to Thralls, in that they do not have a summoning duration. They will only disappear when defeated in combat.
- Summoning an Ash Guardian without a Heart Stone in the inventory will cause it to be "unbound" and thus hostile to everyone around it.
- If an "unbound" Ash Guardian is summoned it will not be considered as the Dragonborn's conjured creature, thus summoning another creature will not cause it to disappear.
- Unbound Ash Guardians will yield a greater soul when successfully soul trapped.
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.