Skill in Block allows the Hero to block melee attacks with shields and weapons. Successful blocks lower damage. Blocking is no longer automatic and skill-based as it was in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It may be activated by clicking and holding down the right mouse button (PC), the left trigger (Xbox 360) or L1 (PS3). While one can use a weapon to block attacks, it is more effective to block with a shield.
- Governing Attribute: Endurance
Ranks and skill perksEdit
- Novice (0–24): No perks, a successful block drains fatigue while hand to hand blocking does nothing against weapons.
- Apprentice (25–49): No fatigue loss when blocking an attack.
- Journeyman (50–74): Shield or weapon is no longer damaged when used to block. Hand to Hand blocking has a chance to recoil an opponent attacking with a weapon, (to guarantee causing the attacker to recoil, become a Journeyman of Hand to Hand).
- Expert (75–99): Blocking with a shield grants a chance to do a knock-back counterattack.
- Master (100): Blocking with shield gives a chance of disarming the enemy with a successful knock-back counterattack.
- Refer to the Trainers page.
Block Skill BooksEdit
The following Skill Books increase the Hero's block skill.
- The Warp in the West - given by Brother Piner when asked for assistance.
- Death Blow of Abernanit
- The Mirror
- A Dance in Fire, Book II
- Apprentice-level text
- The truly skillful fighter learns to block with shield and weapon. Diligent practice has made you an Apprentice at Blocking. Blocking with your shield or weapon no longer drains fatigue.
- Journeyman-level text
- The truly skillful fighter learns to block with shield and weapon. Diligent practice has made you a Journeyman at Blocking. Blocking no longer damages your weapon or shield. Blocking with your bare hands will cause opponents to recoil a bit, although you take full damage from the attack.
- Expert-level text
- The truly skillful fighter learns to block with shield and weapon. Diligent practice has made you an Expert at Blocking. Blocking with a shield can now be used like an attack to knock back and stagger your opponent.
- Master-level text
- The truly skillful fighter learns to block with shield and weapon. Diligent practice has made you a Master of Blocking. Blocking with a shield now has a chance to disarm your opponent.
Once the Block skill level reaches 70 or higher, characters will say: "Your shield arm looks strong."
Block raises one's Endurance which will help raise one's maximum health. Counterattacks done by a Heavy Armor Shield often stagger opponents. Light Armor Shields strike faster but do little damage. Block is good for "Sword and Board" players.