The decayed shrine is located inside the decrepit central barrow to the east of the entrance of Labyrinthian. Access is gained by simply entering the small barrow and following the path around.
Wearing the Wooden Mask within the barrow sends its wearer back to a time before the destruction of Bromjunaar Sanctuary. The central focus of the sanctuary is the restored Dragon Priest Shrine. To exit the sanctuary, simply take off the wooden mask.
On defeat in combat, any named Dragon Priest will drop the mask that they wore. These masks can then be brought to the shrine and displayed on their respective bust on the shrine.
A bust is available for the following masks:
- Volsung's Bust (see Volsung, Volsung Mask)
- Vokun's Bust (see Vokun, Vokun Mask)
- Otar's Bust (see Otar, Otar Mask)
- Morokei's Bust (see Morokei, Morokei Mask)
- Rahgot's Bust (see Rahgot, Rahgot Mask)
- Nahkriin's Bust (see Nahkriin, Nahkriin Mask)
- Hevnoraak's Bust (see Hevnoraak, Hevnoraak Mask)
- Krosis' Bust (see Krosis, Krosis Mask)
Once all eight of the masks are placed on their respective busts in the shrine at the same time, the final mask, Konahrik, is revealed. Then all of the masks, including Konahrik may be taken in any order.
- When the Wooden Mask is worn in the Sanctuary, the lighting is different than that of outside. There are also a few empty chests and urns placed around the room.
- When the Wooden Mask is worn to teleport the player back to a different time, note that it is not possible to leave the room in which the Shrine is located; there is an invisible wall in the doorway preventing the player from leaving. To leave, one needs to take off the Wooden Mask.
- If all of the masks are put in a chest while in the past, they will be impossible to retrieve without using the console command
- Upon retrieving a mask placed on the shrine, all Smithing enhancements will be removed from the mask. This is likely because a new copy of the mask is added to the player's inventory upon retrieval.