The cave is the location the Dragonborn will exit at the end of the Thieves Guild quest "Blindsighted." The cave is a simple tunnel, serving only as an exit from the Dwarven ruin, Irkngthand. If the cave is entered before completing "Blindsighted" one may find a couple of Cave Bears or Frostbite Spiders residing in it. It is also possible to find a cave bear fighting a Troll within the cave when first entered. Also, the back wall, (which is utilized to enter the cave at the end of "Blindsighted") will be inaccessible due to a cave-in filling the tunnel.
There is a note inside the torture chamber of Irkngthand that will explain how the torture victim's friend escaped through the tunnel leading into the cave, but that he doesn't know if he made it or not because there was a cave-in. This could be the "in-game" explanation for the rocks blocking the tunnel if the cave is entered before the quest.
There is a treasure chest that can be found in this area with some potions scattered about it.
- Southwest of Winterhold
- Alternatively, exit Windhelm and head west, following the river until reaching its end which forms a lake.
- East of Heljarchen Hall.
- Southeast of Nightgate Inn.
- End of the Thieves Guild quest "Blindsighted"
- Start of "Darkness Returns" (upon completion of "Blindsighted")
- Treasure Chest behind the rock on the left if coming from Irkngthand
- Apothecary's Satchel on the ground beside the pipeline on the southeast side of the cave (the much longer pipe).
- On the adjacent side from the former, there is a random potion -health, magicka, or stamina- among the skeletal fragments.
- Bears inside the cave cannot move past the rock formation that protrudes out from the cave wall. Therefor, it is possible to kill them with ranged attacks from behind it. They have nowhere to escape.