He is known for standing up for the Dunmer and Argonians in the city and thus openly goes against the opinions of some of his fellow Nords. Susanna the Wicked also shares his compassion for outsiders, unlike Rolff Stone-Fist and Angrenor Once-Honored. Interestingly, if the Dragonborn is a Khajiit or an Argonian, he will use the terms "cat" and "lizard".
Brunwulf is made Jarl of Windhelm if Ulfric Stormcloak is killed by the Imperial Legion. He says he is taking steps to "assimilate" the Argonians into Windhelm, although it may take time as the Nords are protective of their homeland. He also makes plans with the Dunmer to renovate the Gray Quarter to improve their lives in Windhelm.
There is a possibility that he sends the Dragonborn to kill a Bandits leader located in Cragsland Cavern, Gallows Rock, Lost Knife Hideout, Stony Creek Cave or Uttering Hills Cave, and rewards them with gold and a skill up in Heavy Armor.
- "Safe journey, sword-brother." (This is said regardless of the Dragonborn's gender)
- "They call me a war hero. I'm no hero, I'm just a soldier who didn't want to die."
- "It will take time to rebuild, but the Nords are no strangers to hard work." (as Jarl)
- "The dark elves and Argonians won't soon forget Ulfric's prejudice, but I'm doing what I can to repair that rift."
- "Being a Jarl isn't something I ever wanted, but if I can help these people, then I will."
- "A sword can't repair damaged buildings, feed hungry people or undo years of prejudice." - Response to being asked how he is settling into his role as Jarl.
- "I've got no time for a Nord who thinks he's better than everyone else." (he will say this even if the Dragonborn is not a Nord).
- "What do you want, milk-drinker?" (He will say this when the Dragonborn answers his question: "So, you're one of those "Skyrim for the Nords" types?" by saying "Yes. Anyone who is not a Nord is a trespasser.")
- If the Dragonborn ends up in a fight with the guards, Brunwulf will come to the Dragonborn's aid, rather than fleeing like a normal civilian.
- The book A Dream of Sovngarde is written by Skardan Free-Winter, a soldier who serves during the war with the Thalmor, implying Brunwulf was a relative of his.
- He is the only person whose title doesn't change when he becomes Jarl; yet if an inheritance note comes from him, it will say Jarl Brunwulf Free-Winter
- After becoming Jarl, he may not have the speech options for the Dragonborn to become a thane. This only happens in the same sitting as killing Ulfric. Saving and resetting the game will fix this.
- His name may not change to "Jarl Brunwulf Free-Winter" after Ulfric is killed. This can sometimes be rectified on the PC version by using console commands to disable Galmar and Ulfric's corpses immediately after defeating them, or by selecting their corpses one at a time in the console command menu and typing "addfac 0003662a -1" and then "addfac 00036629 1".
- Brunwulf may send the Dragonborn to Uttering Hills Cave to kill the leader of the bandits, Linwe. In this dungeon, if this miscellaneous quest is acquired after completion of the Summerset Shadows quest for the Thieves Guild, the target's marker will point to where Linwe was placed; but without him in the dungeon, the quest will be impossible to complete.