Calm is an apprentice-level Illusion spell that reduces the target's inclination to attack for 30 seconds. The magnitude is the level affected – the spell only works on characters and creatures up to the level specified. Undead, Daedra and automatons cannot be calmed without the Master of the Mind perk.
Usefulness[edit | edit source]
- This spell is useful if the Dragonborn accidentally causes a character to attack (whether through a quest, by assaulting them, or by using Frenzy), or if they wish to talk to an adversary (accidental or not) who will not yield.
- If the Dragonborn needs time to self-heal or recover from fatigue, Calm may hold a creature or person fairly still allowing the time to recover.
- If the Dragonborn is taking on two enemies at once, calm may be used on one of them while attacking the other; however, attacking the target will raise its aggression level, so further calming will be required.
- This spell can be used to exploit for leveling Illusion.
- This spell can be cast on a target for backstabbing. They will stand in their normal place and not react to the Dragonborn's presence.
Spell tome[edit | edit source]
Attributes[edit | edit source]
- Weight: 1
- Value: 91
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
Acquisition[edit | edit source]
- Purchase the tome from one of the following merchants:
Staff[edit | edit source]
A magically enchanted staff contains the Calm spell-effect. The effect of this staff is slightly weaker than the spell, with a magnitude of 8 instead of 9. Other unique staves include Calm effects, these include:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Using Calm on a non-hostile target may cause them to become hostile, which can be fixed by a second application of the spell.
- Wielding this spell gives off a small amount of light that can affect detection.
See also[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- The Elder Scrolls: Legends
|Call to Arms • Calm • Clairvoyance • Courage • Fear • Frenzy • Fury • Harmony • Hysteria • Invisibility |
Mayhem • Muffle • Pacify • Rally • Rout • Vampire's Seduction • Vision of the Tenth Eye
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Illusion Ritual Spell • Magicka • Perks • Magic • College of Winterhold • Illusion trainers|