The Chaurus Hunter is a creature that appears in Dawnguard. They are the adult form of the Chaurus, an insect tamed by the Falmer. When a Chaurus reaches the end of its larval phase, it forms a chrysalis. Then, after a period of deathlike stillness, the Chaurus Hunter rips out of its former shell.
They are the strongest of their kind. The Chaurus Hunter Fledgling is a younger, weaker variant.
Attack[edit | edit source]
Like the Chaurus, the hunter uses its jaws and spits poison. It also thrusts at its foes with its tail to sting them.
Description[edit | edit source]
The Chaurus Hunter resembles a mantis with two arms that have spikes on them. They also have wings attached to the thorax, which allow them to fly very quickly and nimbly. A chrysalis containing a Chaurus Hunter may be opened by attacking it with a weapon, a shout, or by walking too close to it. They can be found in many places inhabited by Falmer and Chaurus, such as Blackreach.
Loot[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If the Dragonborn has a high enough Sneak skill, they may be able to see a crouched Chaurus Hunter within an open chrysalis and sneak past undetected.
- Chaurus Hunters and Chaurus Hunter Fledglings are immune to paralyze.
- Despite the fact that they have two antennae on their heads, only one can be collected.
- A unique finishing move is available when fighting a Chaurus Hunter, involving the wounded insect falling to the ground and the Dragonborn finishing it off with a heavy stomp.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
This section contains bugs related to Chaurus Hunter (Dawnguard). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- The Bloodskal Blade from Dragonborn may cause the Chaurus Hunter to emerge from its chrysalis without breaking the destructible shell. The shell can still be broken by any normal attack afterward, however
- Sometimes, when entering an area with Chaurus Hunter, the shells will already be open and the Chaurus Hunters will be hovering over the broken shells (but will not attack). To fix this, simply attack the Chaurus Hunters.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Creatures and Enemies (The Elder Scrolls V: Dawnguard)|
|Named Creatures||Arvak • Bran • CuSith • The Forgemaster • Garmr • Naaslaarum • Sceolang • The Reaper • Voslaarum|
|Docile Creatures||Ancestor Moth • Armored Troll • Armored Frost Troll • Bone Hawk • Frost Giant |
Husky • Shellbug • Vale Deer • Soul Wisp
|Hostile Creatures||Ancient Frost Atronach • Chaurus Hunter • Chaurus Hunter Fledgling • Death Hound |
Falmer Warmonger • Feral Falmer • Frozen Chaurus • Frozen Falmer • Gargoyle (Brute • Sentinel)
Legendary Dragon • Revered Dragon • Spriggan Earth Mother • Vale Sabre Cat
|Undead||Boneman • Keeper • Mistman • Wrathman • Nightlord Vampire • Nightmaster Vampire|