The long-tailed cliff racer is an aggressive, dangerous flying creature with a large vertical sail along its spine. Racer plumes from the native bird-like cliff racer are used locally and throughout the Empire as decorations for garments and household goods.
Sometime near the end of the Third Era, the cliff-racers were driven out of Vvardenfell by Saint Jiub. However, they were not driven out of the rest of Morrowind, since Mjoll the Lioness remarks on how she used to hunt cliff-racers for sport with her father.
Cliff racers can be found as leveled creatures, but they appear at any levels in the following locations:
- Ascadian Isles Region – One near the Unchartered Shipwreck
- Azura's Coast Region – Two near Prelude Shipwreck and one near the Strange Shipwreck
- Bitter Coast Region – One near the Shunned Shipwreck
- Khartag Point – One near the Neglected Shipwreck
- Sheogorad Region – One above the Abandoned Shipwreck, and one other near Vas entrance
- 40% chance to drop Racer Plumes.
- Diseased Cliff Racer: A variation of cliff racer from which Helljoint can be contracted.
- Blighted Cliff Racer: A variant from which Ash-chancre can be contracted.
- The Nerevarine is ignored by the cliff racers when they are swimming.
- Despite their name, cliff racers are encountered in nearly every outdoor location on Vvardenfell. They make common appearances in the wilderness, especially at higher levels and will often swarm the player.
- Throughout The Elder Scrolls series, multiple references are made to cliff racers.
- In Bloodmoon, there is a dead cliff racer hanging in the ceiling of the Hall in the Skaal Village.
- In Oblivion, there is an intoxicated Dark Elf citizen in the city of Cheydinhal that will wander around and sing a song about cliff racers.
- In Skyrim, Talen-Jei in the Bee and Barb in Riften sells a drink called the Cliff Racer.
- In Skyrim, Mjoll the Lioness makes mention of them, saying "When I was young, I'd journey with my father on hunting expeditions into Morrowind. The cliff racers made for excellent sport."
- Cliff racers can be found in the Stonefalls in The Elder Scrolls Online. They are passive creatures that can only be seen flying above in the sky, and cannot be attacked or interacted with.
- Interestingly, all level-independent cliff racer locations, except for one at the Vas entrance are near shipwrecks.
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Dawnguard (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- The Elder Scrolls: Legends