Combat in The Elder Scrolls Online comes in two separate types, Player vs Environment and Player vs Player, however, both are designed to work in similar ways. Player vs Player combat is available after reaching level 10.
Finesseconfirmation needed is essentially the character's reward for effective use of combat abilities, such as attacking, blocking and dodging. Once significant finesse points are earned, players are able to use a designated Finesse attack called Ultimate Abilities, which level up the more it is used.
Ultimate Abilities are very powerful attacks that can be unlocked by successfully filling up the Finesse bar. These attacks level up the more that they are used, like other skills. Ultimate Abilities are one of the six skills in the hotbar that can be used by players.  Ultimate Abilities are class based, meaning that different classes will be able to unlock different abilities.  
There are several different types of damage in online:
- ↑ The Elder Scrolls Online: The Alliance War
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 October 22, 2012. Elder Scrolls Off The Record Finesse Synergy and You: How it all fits together in Elder Scrolls Online
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 October 22, 2012. MMOHuts. The Elder Scrolls Online Reveal Interview (Video)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 August 05, 2012. Platform Thirty Two The Elder Scrolls Online - Exclusive Interview With Maria AliprandoOctober 22, 2012. MMORPG. The Elder Scrolls Online: The Comprehensive Preview
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 August 05, 2012. Platform Thirty Two The Elder Scrolls Online - Exclusive Interview With Maria Aliprando
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 December 10, 2012. Good Game. Good Game Interview - Maria Aliprando
- ↑ June 6, 2012. TheRealGiantBomb E3 2012: The Elder Scrolls Online Interview (Maria Aliprando)
- ↑ October 22, 2012. MMORPG Stuff We Didnt Play: PVP and Social Integration