If the Dragonborn chooses to destroy the Dark Brotherhood, Commander Maro provides them with the pass phrase for the Falkreath Sanctuary. Alternatively, siding with the Dark Brotherhood allows the Dragonborn to assassinate Maro for an added bonus, during the assassination of the Emperor.
After the death of the Emperor's cousin, Vittoria Vici, Emperor Titus Mede II's visit to Skyrim becomes almost apparent. As the Emperor's visit approaches, Maro assigns his son, Gaius Maro, to verify the security of the major Holds. However, Gaius meets his demise at the hands of the Listener.
Later, Commander Maro intercepts the Listener after he or she successfully assassinates a decoy of the Emperor, after the Listener is betrayed by Astrid. Maro promised to spare Astrid and the Brotherhood if she gave up the Listener, but consumed by hatred for the Brotherhood for killing his son, Maro goes back on his word, ordering his Penitus Oculatus agents to kill the Listener and leading the Penitus Oculatus to destroy the Falkreath Sanctuary, seeking to kill everyone in the Dark Brotherhood. The Listener escapes the wrath of Maro's agents and returns to the Sanctuary to find it in flames, kicking off the mission Death Incarnate.
The Dragonborn can choose to kill Commander Maro, although his death is optional. If the Dragonborn chooses to spare him, if he spots the Dragonborn when they are near him he will say, "You again!" If they interact with him, he will exclaim in utter disbelief at their survival and immediately attack them to finish the job. Once aboard the ship, when the Dragonborn enters the Emperor's room, Titus will state, "Well, once again I have proven Commander Maro the fool," presumably because Maro informed the Emperor that the Dark Brotherhood was destroyed.
|Show: Destroy the Dark Brotherhood!|
|In the Penitus Oculatus Outpost:
If approached again:
"We have a chance to destroy the Dark Brotherhood, forever. It's all up to you."
After destroying the sanctuary:
"By all I hold holy... Can it be true? Have you actually done it? This is a great day, my friend. You have struck a blow against darkness that will not soon be forgotten! Here, as promised - a most generous reward."
If approached again:
"I'll make sure the Emperor himself hears of all you've accomplished. You've made Skyrim a better place."
|Show: To Kill an Empire|
|Outside Castle Dour, Tower:
"Stop right there. The tower is off limits until further notice."
If approached again:
"Just go right into the tower, then straight ahead to the kitchen. Gianna's expecting you."
After killing the imposter of Titus Mede II:
"That man was, by far, the most insufferable decoy the Emperor has ever employed. I'm glad he's dead. Ah, but I'm even happier that you killed him. You, an assassin for the Dark Brotherhood, have just made an attempt on the Emperor's life. Would have succeeded, had it been the real man. Surprised? So was I, when a member of your "Family" came to me with the plan. We worked out a deal, you see. An exchange. I get you, and the Dark Brotherhood gets to continue its existence. But you know what? I've changed my mind. How about this? I kill you, and butcher each and every one of your miserable friends? Your Sanctuary's being put to the sword right now. That's what I think of this "deal." You killed my son! All of you! And now you'll pay the price. Kill him/her. And make sure there's nothing left to bury."
If found again at the Solitude Docks:
"By the gods... you! But it can't be. You're dead. You... Yeaaaahhhh!"
Gaius: "Father, you worry too much. I'll be fine."
Commander Maro: "I know you will. But all the same, remember everything I said. Stay alert, and when you get to the cities, make your observations and move on."
Gaius: "I understand, But you're being paranoid. I'm inspecting security, not charging off into battle. There's not a lot that can go wrong."
Commander Maro: "Son, when the Emperor's safety is concerned, anything could go wrong. Off with you, now. And good travels."
Gaius: "Farewell, father. I'll return as soon as I'm able."
Faida: "Well, this is it, then. Look after yourself, Gaius. You're doing your duty, and I'm proud of you. But you'd better come back to me. You hear?"
Gaius Maro: "Oh, Faida. I may travel alone, but you know I carry you always in my heart. I'll see you soon."
Penitus Oculatus Agent: "And the outpost at Dragon Bridge?"
Commander Maro: "It'll be shuttered by the end of the month."
Penitus Oculatus Agent: "Very good. And you'll be returning to... Well, if you don't mind me asking, where exactly will you be going now, sir?"
Commander Maro: "Hmph. Now there's an excellent question. An excellent question, indeed. Truth is, as soon as the Emperor sets sail, I'm resigning my position."
Penitus Oculatus Agent: "Oh... I see. Well then, let me be just say that it's been an honor serving under you Commander Maro."
Commander Maro: "The honor has been mine. You should be proud of what we've accomplished here. The Dark Brotherhood is no more. And the Emperor, finally, is safe."
Penitus Oculatus Agent: "Yes sir."
- "Trust me, we have nothing to say to one another." – During Breaching Security
- "By the gods... you! But it can't be. You're dead. You... Yeaaaahhhh!" – On the East Empire Company Warehouse after To Kill an Empire
- If the Dragonborn chooses not to kill Maro, they can find him at the Solitude Docks. If they decide to talk to him, he will respond with, "You? But you're dead!" and then attack. If the Dragonborn retaliates, they will not get a bounty.
- After completing the quest "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood!," Maro may attend the Dragonborn's wedding. He will congratulate them on their wedding, then revert to his normal line ("I will personally inform the Emperor...").
- Killing his son, Gaius, may result in getting a bounty in "Commander Maro's Crime Faction." It is unknown if this is a glitch or not.
- Should the Stormcloaks win the war with Maro still being alive, he will remain in Dragon Bridge along with Penitus Oculatus Agents.
- Interestingly, Maro uses a Steel Greatsword, making him the only member of the Imperial faction to use such a weapon (the rest of the Penitus Oculatus use the Imperial Sword, much like the Imperial Legion, whilst Legate Rikke uses a Steel Sword).
- Strangely, when informing Maro that you are the Gourmet, he will be surprised and say "by Azura" instead of one of the divines.