- For other uses, see Compelling Tribute.
Compelling Tribute is a quest available in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in which the Dragonborn must blackmail the steward of the Jarl of Riften to discover information pertaining to a shipment of Stormcloak supplies that must be intercepted.
- Find evidence
- Blackmail Anuriel
- Report to Legate Rikke
- Meet the men
- Follow Hadvar and ambush the enemy scout
- Take over the caravan
- Report back to Hadvar
- Report success to Legate Rikke
Return to Legate Rikke. After speaking to the Legate, she will give out an assignment to go to The Rift. Travel to Riften and go to Mistveil Keep. Sneak into the room on the right which the objective marker is pointing to. Check the drawer and collect the Incriminating Letter. Watch out for the guard that roams the hallways there when trying to sneak in. However, if the Thane of the Rift title is held, walk on in freely without the guards noticing or caring. Once in possession of the letter, confront Anuriel. Talk to her until she reveals the desired information. There is also a Persuasion check that will net some hefty coin if passed. Eventually she will inform the Dragonborn of a shipment of coin traveling to Windhelm. It is possible to be attacked outside in Riften by three Stormcloak Soldiers; the people of Riften will fight the soldiers, and some of them may die (usually Bolli), as such it is recommended to dash over and kill them before they can do any damage.
Travel back to the Rift Imperial Camp and talk to Legate Rikke and give her the information received from Anuriel. Rikke will now give orders to meet up with the other legionares to take the shipment. Travel to the marker (near Shor's Watchtower) and meet up with Hadvar. He will tell of a plan for getting the shipment. One can either follow the plan or charge and directly attack the Stormcloaks. Either way defeating the Stormcloaks will get the shipment. Looting the caravan for goods and gold holds no ill effect. Once the caravan is taken, report to Hadvar. He will give orders to go back to camp and report the progress to Legate Rikke.
Travel back to the Rift Imperial Camp and report to Legate Rikke. After reporting to the Legate, this quest is finished and marks the beginning of the next quest "The Battle for Fort Greenwall."
|Compelling Tribute (Imperials) – CWMission07|
|10||Legate Rikke has sent me to investigate the possibility of blackmailing Anuriel. As Laila Law-Giver's Steward, she might be able to provide important information and assets.
|30||Anuriel gave me information about a delivery of weapons and coin headed toward the enemy capital. I should return to camp and inform Legate Rikke.
|40||Legate Rikke has sent me to meet with a scouting party that should be in the area of the enemy shipment. Together we will over power the enemy and secure the weapons and coin.
|200||I have successfully blackmailed Anuriel and captured a shipmen of enemy weapons and coin.
- General Tullius and meeting Rikke in the Rift Imperial Camp during the quest "Regaining the Pale," Rikke still has the dialogue as if "The Battle for Fort Dunstad" was never completed.
After reporting to
- Dawnstar, preferably late at night or early in the morning when everyone is asleep. Find Jarl Skald (his bedroom is the ground floor on the right). Attack him until he takes a knee. This will complete "The Battle for Fort Dunstad." After reporting to General Tullius, Rikke's dialogue should be fixed to start Compelling Tribute. If this happens, load an old save before helping the Imperial soldiers take the fort. Instead travel to
- When looking for the incriminating letter there will be no marker and there will be no letter in the drawer, the quest will then be impossible to complete.
- Upon completing the main quest to swap Riften with the empire, this quest will be seen as completed, but when searching, there will only be the quest to regain the Rift, making it impossible to continue with the civil war quest without going to a previous save.
- may be inexplicably added to the inventory). Upon securing the shipment of gold and weapons from the Stormcloaks, looting the carriage may cause Legate Rikke to become hostile on sight. One way to resolve this bug is to reload from the last save before looting the carriage. Another way is to attack her until she drops to her knees twice, which will often remove any hostilities and allow the quest to be finished (also, when dropped to the submissive position the first time, a large sum of 1200
- Attacking the Stormcloak caravan before talking to Hadvar will make the quest become impossible to complete. This can be fixed by completing the main quest.
After defeating the caravan, Hadvar will not enter conversation with the Dragonborn. Instead, he will say multiple random Imperial quotes such as, "Been so long since I killed a Stormcloak, my sword arm's getting flabby."
- Saving in front of Hadvar and restarting the game fixes the problem.
|Civil War Quests (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)|
|Joining the Legion • Get Outfitted • The Jagged Crown • Message to Whiterun|
Battle for Whiterun • Reunification of Skyrim • A False Front • The Battle for Fort Dunstad
Compelling Tribute • The Battle for Fort Greenwall • The Battle for Fort Sungard • Rescue from Fort Kastav
The Battle for Fort Snowhawk • The Battle for Fort Neugrad • The Battle for Fort Amol • Battle for Windhelm
|Joining the Stormcloaks • The Jagged Crown • Message to Whiterun • Battle for Whiterun|
Liberation of Skyrim • Rescue from Fort Neugrad • Compelling Tribute • The Battle for Fort Sungard
A False Front • The Battle for Fort Snowhawk • The Battle for Fort Dunstad • The Battle for Fort Greenwall
The Battle for Fort Kastav • The Battle for Fort Hraggstad • Battle for Solitude
|Other||Dragon Rising (required to start "Battle for Whiterun")|
Season Unending (may influence "Liberation of Skyrim" and "Reunification of Skyrim")