He initially lies in his tomb, protecting the Word Wall in the crypt of the Forsaken Cave; if the Dragonborn approaches while sneaking, the tomb lid will open without waking him up. Curalmil is encountered on the side quest, The White Phial. He can also be encountered when retrieving the Ring of Pure Mixtures for Frida in Dawnstar. He may also be chosen as holder for the Ring of the Beast in the quest "Rings of Blood Magic."
- Although the draugr and dragon priest (Curalmil can be either, based on one's level) are traditionally Nordic creatures, he has an Altmer name. This may indicate that Curalmil was an Altmer, and, due to his skill in Alchemy, he was able to find a way to preserve himself in undeath. However, this does not explain his tomb, wielding of ancient Nord weapons or his ability to shout.
- Curalmil was once a celebrated alchemist, buried near his workshop and the White Phial artifact, which he created. Both Quintus Navale and Nurelion speak highly of his legendary skill.
This section contains bugs related to Curalmil. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- It is not always possible to loot Curalmil's corpse. This can be fixed if his body is moved around using a fully charged Unrelenting Force or waiting an hour.
- On rare occasions, part of the Forsaken Crypt will disappear near Curalmil's tomb, allowing the Dragonborn to jump down to the White Phial. If this happens, Curalmil and the other Draugr will not get out of their tombs, and the Dragonborn can get both the Word of Power and the White Phial without challenge.
- Sometimes, when sending him through the trap at the beginning of the room, one of the blades will send him through the wall and he will disappear, keeping the Dragonborn from being able to loot his body but also allowing for the retrieval of the Word of Power and the White Phial without much of a fight.