Dawnstar is one of the major cities in Skyrim. It is the capital of The Pale, and is known for its rich mines and harbor. It also serves as a garrison town along the northern coast of Skyrim. Governed by Jarl Skald the Elder, it is a relatively small town, consisting of two rival mines, a small dock and a small number of residents. Dawnstar is one of the colder settlements in Skyrim; along with Winterhold and Windhelm, as it resides in perpetual snow and ice. Alongside Winterhold, Dawnstar has very high dragon spawn rates.
It was after the destruction of a fortress in Dawnstar during 2E 283 that Potentate Versidue Shaie declared martial law, leading to one of the most brutal and bloody periods in the history of Tamriel. This also led to the creation of the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, and Thieves Guild during the Guilds Act.
The village was rebuilt at least before the end of the Third Era. However, it is noted in the Pocket Guide to the Empire, Third Edition: Skyrim that Macalla was the Queen of Dawnstar, and had married King Thian of Solitude.
Around 4E 201, Dawnstar's citizens were suffering from a series of nightmares by the Skull of Corruption. The Last Dragonborn and a former priest of Vaermina, a dunmer named Erandur, went to Nightcaller Temple and ended the city's suffering.
Points of interest
Nearby points of interest
- Kill the Giant – Can be started by speaking to Jarl Skald the Elder.
- Pieces of the Past – Can be started at the Mythic Dawn Museum.
- Thane of the Pale – Can be started by speaking to the Jarl.
- Waking Nightmare – Can be started at Windpeak Inn.
- Abelone – Maid at Windpeak Inn.
- Alding – A Pirate of the Blood Horkers.
- AlesanHF – An orphan boy who delivers food to the miners.
- Beitild – Owner of Iron Breaker Mine, and a Dark Brotherhood target.
- Bodil – Miner working in Iron-Breaker Mine.
- Borgny – Miner working in Quicksilver Mine.
- Brina Merilis – Prominent citizen, Imperial Legion member.
- Bulfrek – Servant of Jarl Skald the Elder.
- Captain Wayfinder – Captain of The Sea Squall in Dawnstar.
- Edith – Miner working in Quicksilver Mine.
- Erandur – Priest of Mara, and potential follower.
- Frida – Alchemist, and owner of The Mortar and Pestle.
- Frorkmar Banner-Torn – Stormcloak commander of The Pale.
- Fruki – Miner working in Quicksilver Mine.
- Gjak – Miner working in Iron-Breaker Mine.
- Gjuk – A Pirate of the Blood Horkers.
- Guthrum – Shipman on The Sea Squall.
- Harlaug – Ferryman near the docks.
- Horik Halfhand – Bodyguard of Brina Merilis.
- Irgnir – Miner working outside of Iron-Breaker Mine.
- Irlof – A Pirate of the Blood Horkers.
- Jod – Housecarl of Jarl Skald the Elder.
- Karita – Bard at Windpeak Inn.
- Karl – Miner working outside of Iron-Breaker Mine.
- Legate Constantius Tituleius – Imperial commander of The Pale.
- Leigelf – Owner of Quicksilver Mine.
- Lond – Miner working outside of Quicksilver Mine.
- Madena – Court Wizard to Jarl Skald the Elder.
- Ravam Verethi – Shipman on The Sea Squall.
- Rustleif – Blacksmith, married to Seren.
- Seren – Smith hand, married to Rustleif.
- Silus Vesuius – Owner of the Mythic Dawn Museum.
- Skald the Elder – The Jarl of The Pale.
- Stig Salt-Plank – A Pirate of The Blood Horkers.
- Thoring – Innkeeper of Windpeak Inn.
|Cities||Dawnstar • Falkreath • Markarth • Morthal • Riften • Solitude • Whiterun • Windhelm • Winterhold|
|Holds||Eastmarch • Falkreath Hold • Haafingar • Hjaalmarch • The Pale|
The Reach • The Rift • Winterhold Hold • Whiterun Hold