- For other uses, see Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.
Cicero flees to the sanctuary during the quest "The Cure for Madness." At the end, the Dragonborn has the choice to spare or kill Cicero, although the latter is more dangerous. When attacked, he drops his wounded facade and fights back with surprising ferocity. "The Cure for Madness" must be completed before the sanctuary can be used. To enter the sanctuary, the Dragonborn must reply correctly to The Black Door's question: "What is life's greatest illusion?" The correct answer is, "Innocence, my brother." The incorrect answers are as follows:
- "Um... The one where you saw a lady in half?"
- "Being happily married?"
- "Dreams are reality, and reality is really a dream?"
If an attempt is made to enter the sanctuary before the passphrase has been obtained from Cicero's Journal, Final Volume, the option for the correct phrase is not available and the door will reply, "You are not worthy," similarly to the original Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. This sanctuary becomes the new home for the Dark Brotherhood following the destruction of the original one during the quest "Death Incarnate."
- Cicero (if he is spared during "The Cure for Madness")
- The Night Mother
- Dark Brotherhood Initiate – nameless male and female assassins
- Alteration skill book – Sithis
- Archery skill book (The Marksmanship Lesson) – on a table at the bottom of the first set of stairs.
- One-Handed skill book – Fire and Darkness - on the same table.
- Sneak skill book – Sacred Witness
- Cicero's Outfit – looted from Cicero's corpse if he is killed during "The Cure for Madness" (May be pickpocketed from him with the Perfect Touch perk).
- Jester's Outfit – weaker variation of Cicero's Clothes, available on a table in the first room.
- Worn Shrouded Armor
- Tumblerbane Gloves – after upgrading the bedroom.
- Leveled weapons – on a weapon rack in the round room just beyond the bottom of the stairs.
- Three Scrolls of Fireball – on the floor next to a chest in the ice cave.
After moving to the Dawnstar Sanctuary, several upgrades can be purchased from Delvin Mallory in The Ragged Flagon. If purchased, the total upgrade cost is 19,000 . The following upgrades are available for purchase:
- Master Bedroom (in the westernmost end of the sanctuary) – contains a mannequin, bookcase, bureau, a chest, and a usable weapon rack.
- Torture Chamber (east of the dining hall with the stained glass window) – contains four prisoners who, if tortured, reveal the locations of their treasure (each of which becomes a Miscellaneous Quest). Each location yields between 1,000 and 2,000 . The prisoners can also be used for combat training, but if killed they will not respawn.
- Secret Entrance – creates a secret entrance through the stained glass window in the main hall. The exit leads to the south end of Dawnstar near the Khajiit traders.
- Alchemy Lab with a poison garden (up the stairs and then to the left from the dining hall) – creates an Alchemy lab and a small garden with poison oriented flora. See "Where You Hang Your Enemy's Head" for more details.
- When visited during "Hail Sithis!" before fixing the sanctuary, the broken stained glass window no longer leads to the ice cave; it shows only a pillar and the corner of the chamber. The passages to the crypts is also blocked off by a wall.
- Unlike the Falkreath Sanctuary, followers will follow the Dragonborn into the Dawnstar Sanctuary.
- The local Dawnstar residents seem to have general knowledge of the Sanctuary's presence and refer to it as the "Black Door." That said, they also seem to disapprove of the latter. If asked for the latest rumors, Thoring will say "Everyone in town knows about the Black Door, and to never go near it."
- During the quest "The Cure for Madness," if Udefrykte is not killed, he may appear in the snowy part of the sanctuary. He can only be found with the console command "
|Click to reveal Bugs|