Dragon Rising is a quest available in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The Dragonborn's first battle against a dragon takes place during this quest, culminating with the absorption of their first Dragon Soul and soon gaining the attention of the Greybeards of High Hrothgar, who summon the Dragonborn to their presence.
- Talk to Jarl Balgruuf
- Meet Irileth near the Western Watchtower
- Kill the dragon
- Investigate the dragon
- Report back to Jarl Balgruuf
- Use your new Shout power (optional)
Shortly after returning the Dragonstone to Farengar, Irileth will approach to inform him that there has been a sighting of a dragon at Whiterun's Western Watchtower. Irileth will then ask Farengar and the Dragonborn to meet with Jarl Balgruuf. Follow them to the throne, where a Whiterun guard will recount seeing a dragon flying over the watchtower. Balgruuf will ask the Dragonborn to accompany Irileth as she goes to investigate. She will recruit several Whiterun Guards along the way.
Follow Irileth to the guard barracks just inside the city gates. After she delivers a speech to rally her soldiers and then to the Western Watchtower, which is being attacked by Mirmulnir. Guards from the Whiterun garrison will accompany the Dragonborn and Irileth to combat the dragon.
Use ranged weapons or spells initially to attack Mirmulnir. Once his health drops to below half, he will land which allows melee attacks against him. Irileth and the guards may be able to distract Mirmulnir long enough for a melee-oriented Dragonborn to attack from the flank or behind. Mirmulnir's melee attacks consist of biting and tail swiping and he is capable of both Fire Breath and Frost Breath shouts.
After Mirmulnir is defeated, the Dragonborn absorbs his soul. The soldiers observing this proclaim that they must be a legendary "Dragonborn." Irileth is skeptical about this theory and tells the Dragonborn to report back to the Jarl and tell him what happened.
On the way back to Whiterun, the Dragonborn will hear a loud voice calling out "Dovahkiin." Jarl Balgruuf explains this to be the Greybeards calling them to High Hrothgar to teach to them what it means to be a Dragonborn.
After completion of this quest, dragons will begin attacking the Dragonborn at random and will take up residence at the various Dragon Lairs around Skyrim.
|Dragon Rising – MQ104|
|10||I recovered the Dragonstone from Bleak Falls Barrow, as the Jarl of Whiterun requested. I should speak to him about my reward.
|13||A dragon has been sighted near Whiterun. Irileth, the Jarl's housecarl, asked me to come with her to discuss the situation with Jarl Balgruuf.|
|40||A dragon has been sighted at a watchtower near Whiterun. Jarl Balgruuf has sent me along with his housecarl Irileth with reinforcements.
|80||A dragon was sighted at a watchtower near Whiterun. Jarl Balgruuf sent me along with his housecarl Irileth with reinforcements. The dragon attacked us and we killed it. We should investigate its corpse to see if we can learn anything about where it came from.
|90||A dragon was sighted at a watchtower near Whiterun. Jarl Balgruuf sent me along with his housecarl Irileth with reinforcements. The dragon attacked us and we killed it. When I approached the dragon's corpse, I absorbed some kind of power from it. I should return to Whiterun and tell the Jarl what happened.
|160||A dragon was sighted at a watchtower near Whiterun. Jarl Balgruuf sent me along with his housecarl Irileth with reinforcements. The dragon attacked us and we killed it. When I approached the dragon's corpse, I absorbed some kind of power from it. When I returned to Whiterun, the Jarl rewarded me for my services. I am now a Thane of Whiterun with my own personal housecarl.
- Delaying this quest until one is more prepared later in the game can be extremely beneficial. The random dragon attacks can kill non-essential characters who still have quests to be completed, cause traveling to be hazardous, or simply become an otherwise annoyance with the frequency of attacks. In order to avoid this, the previous quest "Bleak Falls Barrow" must not be completed until the player is ready, as "Dragon Rising" starts automatically upon presenting the Dragonstone. This means that the player should not collect the Dragonstone when in Bleak Falls Barrow, as it is a quest item and once picked up cannot be dropped again.
- Since dragons will not appear, no Dragon Shouts can be activated until this quest is completed.
- Tor is only mentioned during this quest. He was picked up and eaten by the dragon. Whiterun guard armor can be found on the dragon's corpse, and it is most likely Tor's armor. A "Hroki" is also mentioned, but there is no knowledge of what happened to him or her. There is also a Hroki inside Markarth, but this is merely coincidental.
- It is not necessary to wait for Jarl Balgruuf to make his speech before going to fight Mirmulnir. As soon as Irileth interrupts Farengar, the Dragonborn can go to the Western Watchtower, and a quest marker will already be there.
- Before starting this quest, the Western Watchtower is an unmarked location and is already destroyed, but without the fire.
- It is necessary to complete "Dragon Rising" in order for Jarl Balgruuf to allow "Battle for Whiterun" to be started for either side.
- This quest is the only time when the Whiterun Hold Guards will be seen wearing Hide Helmets, Leather Helmets, or Scaled Helmets, and be armed with one or two-handed iron or steel weapons in place of the normal Imperial Sword.
This section contains bugs related to Dragon Rising. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Lydia, the housecarl, does not appear and cannot be found. To fix this bug, open the console and type:
- Sometimes after killing the dragon, no dialogue is initiated and no shout is performed.
- Unrelenting Force was learned. Sometimes when killing Mirmulnir, instead of saying Dragon Soul absorbed, it says that the first word of
- Sometimes Irileth will not run into Dragonsreach with info on the dragon sighting, preventing the quest from starting. This only seems to happen when talking to Farengar about the Dragonstone before obtaining it. Obtaining the Dragonstone before the first visit to Dragonsreach prevents this problem, as all the essential NPCs are already inside Dragonsreach. It is unclear if the bug only occurs in modded games (including official DLCs), or whether it is actually a vanilla problem. If the quest does not start, even using the 'SetStage' console command will not help start it.
- This quest has a chance of becoming bugged if done at a high level (15 or higher, when Mirmulnir spawns as a Blood Dragon). Mirmulnir will kill the guards in one attack and sometimes kill them faster than they respawn, resulting in no dialogue initiated when the dragon dies.
- Mirmulnir's soul may not be obtainable. If console commands are used to advance the quest, dragons will not naturally spawn in the game world.
- The map marker for Dragonsreach may disappear during the return to Whiterun.confirmation needed
Absorb a dragon soul
|Skyrim Main Quests|
|Act I||Unbound • Before the Storm • Bleak Falls Barrow • Dragon Rising • The Way of the Voice |
The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller
|Act II||A Blade in the Dark • Diplomatic Immunity • A Cornered Rat • Alduin's Wall • The Throat of the World |
Elder Knowledge • Alduin's Bane
|Act III||Season Unending • The Fallen • The World-Eater's Eyrie • Sovngarde |
Dragonslayer • Epilogue