- For other uses, see Dragonborn.
- Find out who sent the Cultists
- Read the Cultists' Orders
- Travel to Solstheim
- Search for information about Miraak
- Investigate the shrine
- Reach the Temple of Miraak
To start the Dragonborn questline, the Dragonborn must have at least started the quest "The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller." Once this quest is completed, the next time they visit a city in a major Skyrim hold during daytime (whether or not they have visited Solstheim before this point) two Cultists will stop the Dragonborn and engage in a brief discussion, asking whether they are Dragonborn and then telling them that the first Dragonborn, Miraak, will soon be returning. They will then attempt to kill the "false" Dragonborn. After killing them, the Cultists' Orders can be found on one of them, triggering a new objective to visit Windhelm's Docks in order to travel to Solstheim.
The quest continues by finding Gjalund Salt-Sage at the Windhelm docks and talking to him. In a brief conversation, he reveals that one minute he was in Solstheim, and the next—after the cultists boarded his ship—he was in Windhelm. The Dragonborn will then have to pass a persuasion check with three options—pay him double his normal fare, persuade him or intimidate him. After passing this check, Salt-Sage will grant passage to Solstheim.
I'm looking for Miraak. Do you know him? "Miraak... I... I'm... I'm not sure that I do."
Just looking for work. "You've picked one of the worst places in Morrowind to do that, but suit yourself."
None of your business. "That's the kind of attitude that'll land you in prison. But I'll let it go for now."
Next, it's possible to ask him again about Miraak and he will mention the Earth Stone. This will trigger the next quest marker.
Can you tell me anything about him? "I don't think so. I'm not... The name has something to do with the Earth Stone, I think. But I'm not sure what."
After the Dragonborn's conversation is finished, Adril will turn to Gjalund, and they will have a conversation about supplies Gjalund brought. Gjalund will tell Adril that the East Empire Company raised their prices and that he will need more from Adril.
The Earth Stone
I'm looking for someone named Miraak "Miraak...Miraak... It sounds familiar but I cant quite place... Oh. Wait. I recall. But that makes very little sense. Miraak's been dead for thousands of years."
- What does that mean? "I'm not sure, but it is fascinating, isn't it. Perhaps it has some relation to what's going on here. Quite unexpected. I'm afraid I can't give you any answers. But there are ruins of an ancient temple of Miraak's toward the center of the island. If I were you, I'd look there."
If the Dragonborn visited Solstheim before completion of "The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller," they will still need to revisit Windhelm and talk to Gjalund Salt-Sage.
The Temple of Miraak
|Dragonborn – DLC2MQ01|
|5||I've been attacked by a group of cultists. I need to see if they have any evidence of what prompted this assault.
|7||I've found a note on one of the cultists who attacked me. Perhaps it has some clue as to what prompted them to come after me.
|10||I've been attacked by a group of people claiming to work for someone named Miraak. I need to find out why they're trying to kill me, and so I should look for the boat in Windhelm they used to travel from Solstheim.
|20||I have arrived on Solstheim in search of the "Miraak" mentioned in a note as being behind the attempt on my life. Perhaps someone in the town of Raven Rock will know about him.
|30||The people of Raven Rock know the name Miraak, saying that he has a temple near the center of the island. I should seek him out and find out why people have attacked me on his behalf.
|200||After an attempt on my life, I've tracked the people responsible to the isle of Solstheim, where someone named Miraak has a temple near the center of the island. It's time to find out what's going on.
- Resting on Solstheim before finding the Temple of Miraak will transport the Dragonborn to one of the All-Maker Stones, working away under the influence of Miraak. If lucky, they can find themselves at the Beast Stone which is located outside the temple, or better yet, inside the temple itself.
- If the Dragonborn has already asked someone else about the location of the Temple of Miraak, then Neloth will not automatically talk to the Dragonborn when first arriving at the Earth Stone.
- If the quest is started in a town or city, e.g. Whiterun, local guards will assist in eliminating the cultists.
- The music that plays during the cut-scene introducing Solstheim features the same drum-beat from the main theme of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
- Alternatively, the Dragonborn can travel to Solstheim before starting the quest "The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller" by finding Gjalund Salt-Sage at the Windhelm docks and paying him 250 . Then, if the Dragonborn goes to Saering's Watch and learns the Bend Will shout, the Dragonborn can use it on the All-Maker Stones, skipping the quest Cleansing the Stones entirely. After that, speaking to Storn Crag-Strider results in him telling the Dragonborn to find Frea which starts the quest The Temple of Miraak. This causes the quest Dragonborn to be shown as completed on screen, without ever having to encounter the cultists. But, it may not show up on the quest journal.
- It is possible that, when the Dragonborn gets on the boat to Solstheim, the game will load as normal, and when the loading screen disappears, they are still in Windhelm.
- This can be fixed by persuading Gjalund to take them to Solstheim again. This process may need to be repeated multiple times.
- After the loading screen to Solstheim, during the small cut-scene on a boat heading to the docks of Raven Rock, it is possible that the Dragonborn will spawn on the boat but the boat will be underwater. Drowning can be avoided by having more than 160 health points.
- If the cut-scene is allowed to end, the boat will reset back on the water.
- Sometime after touching the Earth Stone and Miraak's dialogue is done, "Miraak: Far from yourself," will be on screen with or without subtitles on.
- Guards may stop the Dragonborn even if the cultists have not yet been attacked.
The Cultists may not spawn at all if the Dragonborn is at a high-enough level.
- Switching the console off and on, followed by sleeping 24 hours, may cause the Cultists to spawn.
- The Cultists may not have the letter on their bodies, making it impossible to finish the first objective.
- This can be solved by simply traveling to Solstheim and finding the Temple of Miraak. The quest however, may show up as failed.
- During the first cutscene on the trip to Solstheim, the boat the Dragonborn is riding, including the other characters, may not load, showing only the Solstheim docks while a conversation takes place. However, after the conversation has ended, the Dragonborn will still be stuck in the cutscene.
- Once reaching the "Reach the Temple of Miraak" objective, Frea may not be in the area to interact with, which means the player is unable to progress the questline as a whole.
- A solution to this, if the player cannot find Frea by teleporting her to the player, or vise versa, select her ID through console commands with the command "prid XX017a0d" (replace the XX with the load order number of the Dragonborn DLC). Enter "moveto player" and that will spawn Frea to you. If she does not appear, then type "disable" then "enable" in the console, and she may reappear.
- Frea may not give you any dialogue option to progress through the questline during the objective "Reach the Temple of Miraak".
- This can be solved by typing "'sqs DLC2MQ02" in the console. If stage 10 and/or 25 are at value 0, then enter "setstage DLC2MQ02 (10 or 25)" and that will progress the objective, and trigger Frea's mission dialogue immediately.
Arrive on Solstheim