- For other uses, see Dragons.
Dragons (Dovah, or Dov in plural) are a reptilian race from Akavir that were once widespread throughout Tamriel. Although seeming rather beast-like, they are profoundly intelligent, capable of speech, written language, and comprehension of other languages. Their spoken language can be used to cast powerful magic known as Thu'um or dragon shouts. They were virtually extinct until 4E 201, when they resurfaced in Skyrim with the return of Alduin.
Dragons can attack anywhere outdoors in Skyrim and random encounters are scripted to take place after a certain amount of in-game time has passed without a Dragon appearance. Thus, fast traveling to an outdoor location is a reliable way to trigger a random Dragon encounter.
There are, however, certain locations where Dragons are scripted to appear. These locations are called dragon lairs that can be found all over Skyrim. In these locations Dragons are typically perched atop word walls that they are guarding.
The following is a list of dragon lairs:
- Ancient's Ascent
- Autumnwatch Tower
- Bonestrewn Crest
- Dragontooth Crater
- Eldersblood Peak
- Lost Tongue Overlook
- Mount Anthor
- Northwind Summit
- Saering's Watch DR
- Skyborn Altar
- Other scripted events
These locations are not dragon lairs, but a dragon is guaranteed to be present.
- Outside the unmarked entrance to Bleak Falls Barrow. This location resets.
|Name||Appearance||Type||Lvl1||Enc2||Shouts3||Resist Fire||Resist Frost||Notes|
|Dragon||Fire||10||1||905||50%||25%||Brown-colored dragons; they are the first dragons encountered in Skyrim and are the weakest.|
|Blood Dragon||Fire||20||18||1421||50%||25%||Green-colored dragons that have finned crowns and spade-like tails.|
|Frost Dragon||Frost||30||27||1860||25%||50%||White and blue, ice-affiliated dragons with black-colored dorsal spines.|
|Elder Dragon||Fire||40||36||2255||50%||25%||Bronze-scaled dragons with arrow-shaped tails; second to Ancient Dragons.|
|Ancient Dragon||Fire||50||45||3071||50%||25%||Red, black and orange-colored dragons; the most powerful dragon in the base game.|
|Revered Dragon DG||Fire||62||59||3511||50%||25%||Orange-colored dragons introduced in Dawnguard; second most powerful variant.|
|Legendary Dragon DG||Fire||75||78||4163||50%||25%||Black, purple-colored; maximum level dragon introduced in Dawnguard; most powerful variant.|
|Legendary Dragon DG||Frost||75||78||4163||25%||50%|
|Serpentine Dragon DR||Frost||58||50||3565||25%||50%||Blue-colored, snake-like dragon introduced in Dragonborn.|
|Serpentine Dragon DR||Fire||58||50||3565||50%||25%|
|Skeletal Dragon||Frostconfirmation needed||20||10||500||50%confirmation needed||50%confirmation needed||An undead dragon encountered in Labyrinthian during the quest "The Staff of Magnus."|
These are dragons encountered throughout Skyrim. Essentially identical to random nameless dragons in terms of gameplay, these Dragons are usually encountered during the main quest with individual names and dialogue:
|Alduin||N/A||PC×1.2 (10–100)||2355||50% to all damage sources|
|Krosulhah DR||Frost dragon||30–50||1860–3071||50%|
|Kruziikrel DR||Any type||10–50||905–3071||50%|
|Naaslaarum DG||Revered dragon||10–62||905–3511||50%|
|Relonikiv DR||Any type||10–50||905–3071||50%|
|Sahrotaar DR||Serpentine dragon||58||3565||50%|
|Voslaarum DG||Revered dragon||10–62||905–3511||50%|
- Main article: Dragon Riding
Dragon Riding is a feature added in The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn that grants the ability to temporarily tame and ride Dragons. All three words of the Bend Will shout are required in order for it to work. When the shout is directed at a dragon, it will land and allow the Dragonborn to mount it. As soon as the dragon has been mounted, it will take to the skies. This introduces a new control scheme that allows the Dragonborn to command the dragon they are riding to attack targets.
- Dragon Bones 1–3
- Dragon Scales 1–3
- Dragon Heartscales (can be collected using Kahvozein's Fang)
- Gold, the amount depending on the dragon's level
- Precious gemstones
- Weapons and Armor, with a chance of being enchanted. (Revered and Legendary dragons have an increased chance of dropping Daedric weapons and Daedric armor).
|Click for a list of strategies|
Absorb a dragon soul
Absorb 20 dragon souls
Defeat a Legendary Dragon
- Dragons can only land on the ground if there is enough flat, open space. If a dragon refuses to land on the ground, consider moving somewhere more open. The dragon can also land on most buildings.
- Dragons can appear inside a walled city and attack various characters. If a quest-giver is killed, their quest may become unavailable.
- Despite the crafting material of Dragon Bones being very heavy, dragon skeletons are weightless. A Firebolt or similar kinetic spell may launch the skeleton into the sky.
- When a dragon is killed and characters are nearby, they will rush over to gawk at the corpse and the fact that the player has absorbed its soul.
- While a dragon corpse is burning, the effect can be seen from the world map.
- When a dragon is low on health, they may descend and crash into the ground, leaving a large trench behind.
- The Tsaesci tried to "eat" the dragons of Akavir. They enslaved the "Red Dragons," and the black ones fled to Po Tun. A war later left all the dragons of Akavir dead.
- Dragons cannot be soul trapped.
- As the Dragonborn continues with the main quest, dragon attacks tend to happen more often.
- In places where dragons are scripted to appear, such as Dragon Lairs, they can be found either perched on a cliff edge, word wall or sometimes even lying down on the ground.
- Although not a dragon lair, there is a scripted dragon appearance at the unmarked exit of Bleak Falls Barrow, overlooking Lake Ilinalta.
- The dragons depicted in Skyrim closely resemble the wyverns found in European mythology.
|Click to show|
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena (mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (as aspect of Akatosh)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- The Elder Scrolls Online (mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls: Legends
- The Elder Scrolls: Blades
|Creatures and Enemies (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)|
|Animals||Ants • Bear • Cave Bear • Chicken • Cow • Deer • Dog • Elk • Fox • Goat • Hawk • Horker • Horse|
Ice Wolf • Mammoth • Mudcrab • Rabbit • Sabre Cat • Salmon • Skeever • Slaughterfish • Snow Bear • Snow Fox • Wolf
|Creatures||Chaurus • Frostbite Spider • Frost Troll • Giant • Hagraven • Ice Wraith • Spriggan • Troll|
|Daedra||Dremora • Flame Atronach • Frost Atronach • Storm Atronach|
|Undead||Corrupted Shade • Dragon Priest • Draugr • Ghost • Magic Anomaly • Skeleton|
Subjugated Ghost • Wisp • Wispmother • Vampire
|Animunculi||Dwarven Centurion • Dwarven Sphere • Dwarven Spider|
|Dragons||Dragon • Blood Dragon • Frost Dragon • Elder Dragon • Ancient Dragon • Skeletal Dragon|