Starting around level 50, Dragonscale Armor pieces can be found, very rarely, as random loot from chests and containers. Armor pieces can be found at lower levels if the Dragon Armor perk is acquired before reaching level 50.
Although it is quite rare, pieces of the set can be found as early as level 24, even without the aforementioned perk.
Dragonscale Armor is forged with dragon scales, iron ingots, and leather strips. The Dragon Armor perk must be acquired before this armor type can be crafted. The perk requires a Smithing level of 100.
Dragonscale Armor has a superior armor rating to Glass armor, but a higher weight. Once upgraded, Dragonscale armor remains with a higher rating but still only by about 8, making the weight difference a problem, even though the full Dragonscale set weighs less than the chestplate of iron armor. It should be noted, however, that with the right perks invested in Light Armor, the weight difference between the Dragonscale armor and the Glass armor will be insignificant, and the Dragonscale will have a much higher armor rating.
Attributes by piece
|Piece||Dragon Scales||Leather Strips||Leather||Iron Ingot||ID|
|Total (with shield)||111||26||3600||14||10||4||7||–|
|Total (without shield)||82||20||2850||10||8||4||5||–|
- The materials for crafting Dragonscale Armor are much more common than the materials needed for its glass competitor.
- It can be seen that the "skirt" of both male and female versions appears to be made from actual dragon skin.
- Khajiit or Argonians, their cranial features and tails might disappear or function abnormally. When worn by bestial races, such as
- If worn by a horned Argonian, the back portion of the Dragonscale Helmet, as well as the Argonian's horns, will disappear leaving the back of the head exposed.
- If worn by a Khajiit with ear tufts, the areas where the ears would be on the Dragonscale Helmet, as well as the Khajiit's ears, will disappear.