The mace is brass in color, with some gold, white, and pearl. The overall luster of the mace is waxy, while the blades have a sub-metallic sheen to them. The mace shows abrasion and scratches.
The mace's head has a shallow crown from the upper tips of the flanges. It has four flanges that start narrow at the top and widen towards the handle. The flanges hook over deeply, and come to a point facing inwards. The flanges consist of blades attached to metal coming together to the flat six sided blunt head.
The handle starts with a shallow four edged rod, which narrows into the grip. The grip is made of brown leather, and a diagonal weave pattern of metal holding it to the body of the mace. The grip thins even more and then widens back out. The handle ends at the pommel which consists of two flared curve angled metal bars.
Unenchanted Elven maces will begin to appear throughout Skyrim at level 17 and enchanted maces can be found at level 20. These locations include:
- Blacksmiths and general goods merchants.
- Wielded by various characters or enemies.
- Found as random loot in chests or as a world item throughout Skyrim.
- Thalmor Justiciars typically carry these maces.
- Ondolemar, in the Understone Keep, carries this mace.
- The Thalmor Interrogator in "Diplomatic Immunity" uses an Elven Mace to beat Etienne Rarnis and will drop it if killed.
- One on the right side of the ledge spanning the indoor perimeter of Shalidor's Maze. The ledge can be accessed by running up the stairs after exiting the tunnel and jumping onto the left side of the ledge, then following it to the right side. The mace is with a skeleton and a leveled shield.
It can be upgraded with a refined moonstone ingot at a grindstone. The Elven Smithing perk doubles the improvement.