Fort Hraggstad is located in the Haafingar Hold on a snowy peak overlooking the Sea of Ghosts, with a sheer cliff to the north and uneven, slightly forested terrain to the south. The fort is held by bandits prior to the beginning of Civil War quest. During the quest it may be occupied by either the Imperial Legion or the Stormcloaks depending on the Dragonborn's allegiance.
If this location is visited prior to the start of the Civil War questline, (i.e. whilst it is occupied by bandits), there will be a lookout watching the main entrance. It is possible to sneak around to the right and enter through the rear entrance, which does not have a gate, and take the bandits by surprise. One can also sneak in by heading around the right-side (north) of the castle through a hole in the wall where the tower collapsed.
There are a total of seven bandits stationed outside. Inside the fort, six bandits can be found, three in the prison, all of which can attack immediately upon entering unless sneak is very high.confirmation needed
If the fort is cleared before doing the inaugural quest to join the Imperial Legion, it might be possible the bandits will respawn in order to complete the quest, the quest can be completed sooner as they've already been slain, or the fort will be garrisoned with Legionnaires within several in-game days.
- Fort Hraggstad, Fellhammer, and Kastav are the only military forts to not originally appear in The Elder Scrolls: Arena.
- Sometimes after completing the Imperial quest and being told a garrison of troops will be securing it, the next time the Dragonborn arrives it will be re-populated by bandits. This may be caused if you clear Fort Neugrade, Fort Snowhawk or Fort Sungrad before clearing Fort Hraggstad, because the garrison of troops will secure them instead.
- The fort may be completely empty upon arrival.
- The fort will not say cleared, even after killing the bandits.
- Dialogue with Legate Rikke
|Forts (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)|