Fortify Enchanting is a property of alchemical ingredients in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Potions created with such ingredients enable the user to create more powerful enchantments while under its effects.
Fortify Enchanting potions can be bolstered by a few perks.
- Alchemist (5 ranks) – Allows created potions to be up to 100% stronger.
- Benefactor – Potions you mix with beneficial effects have an additional 25% greater magnitude.
- Necromage – If the Dragonborn is a vampire; potions count as a spell cast on self. The Fortify Enchanting strength will be 25% greater.
A Fortify Enchanting potion can be used in conjunction with the Fortify Alchemy effect to create an Alchemy/Enchanting loop.
This is done by:
- Creating a potion of Fortify Enchanting.
- Consuming the potion and enchanting the appropriate equipment (helmet, gloves, amulet, ring) with Fortify Alchemy.
- Wearing the Fortify Alchemy equipment to create a more powerful Fortify Enchanting potion.
With the proper perks and obtainable bonuses it is possible to create very powerful enchantments. This is useful for those wishing to create powerful equipment for themselves or followers without abusing the Fortify Restoration exploit.
Note: it is possible to enchant and wear both a circlet and a number of specific helmets at the same time. The two helmets that are abundant and should be relatively easy to get access to are the Falmer Helmet and the Penitus Oculatus Helmet.
The following ingredients contain this effect:
|Ingredient||Primary Effect||Secondary Effect||Tertiary Effect||Quaternary Effect|
|Ancestor Moth Wing DG||Damage Stamina||Fortify Conjuration||Damage Magicka Regen||Fortify Enchanting|
|Blue Butterfly Wing||Damage Stamina||Fortify Conjuration||Damage Magicka Regen||Fortify Enchanting|
|Chaurus Hunter Antennae DG||Damage Stamina||Fortify Conjuration||Damage Magicka Regen||Fortify Enchanting|
|Hagraven Claw||Resist Magic||Lingering Damage Magicka||Fortify Enchanting||Fortify Barter|
|Snowberries||Resist Fire||Fortify Enchanting||Resist Frost||Resist Shock|
|Spawn Ash DR||Ravage Stamina||Resist Fire||Fortify Enchanting||Ravage Magicka|
|Spriggan Sap||Damage Magicka Regen||Fortify Enchanting||Fortify Smithing||Fortify Alteration|
- Wearing four relics of Ahzidal DR grants the following:
- Ahzidal's Genius – Fortify Enchanting: 10 points.
- Using an Arcane Enchanter does not stop time, so in order to obtain the benefits of the potion, the enchantment(s) must be selected within the duration of the potion, typically 30–60 seconds. This generally means that one potion could only used for one item. Note that once an item, soul gem and enchantment(s) have been selected, their values will remain. The Arcane Enchanter's rename screen and the confirmation dialogue can be used after the effect from the potion has expired.