Fortify Enchanting is a property of alchemical ingredients in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Potions created with such ingredients enable the user to create more powerful enchantments while under its effects.
Fortify Enchanting potions can be bolstered by a few perks.
- Alchemist (5 ranks) – Allows created potions to be up to 100% stronger.
- Benefactor – Potions you mix with beneficial effects have an additional 25% greater magnitude.
- Necromage – If the Dragonborn is a vampire; potions count as a spell cast on self. The Fortify Enchanting strength will be 25% greater.
A Fortify Enchanting potion can be used in conjunction with the Fortify Alchemy effect to create an Alchemy/Enchanting loop.
This is done by:
- Creating a potion of Fortify Enchanting.
- Consuming the potion and enchanting the appropriate equipment (helmet, gloves, amulet, ring) with Fortify Alchemy.
- Wearing the Fortify Alchemy equipment to create a more powerful Fortify Enchanting potion.
With the proper perks and obtainable bonuses it is possible to create very powerful enchantments. This is useful for those wishing to create powerful equipment for themselves or followers without abusing the Fortify Restoration exploit.
Note: it is possible to enchant and wear both a circlet and a number of specific helmets at the same time. The two helmets that are abundant and should be relatively easy to get access to are the Falmer Helmet and the Penitus Oculatus Helmet.
The following ingredients contain this effect:
- Ancestor Moth Wing DG
- Blue Butterfly Wing
- Chaurus Hunter Antennae DG
- Hagraven Claw
- Spawn Ash DR
- Spriggan Sap
- Using an Arcane Enchanter does not stop time, so in order to obtain the benefits of the potion, the entire enchanting process from activation of the table to the pressing of the craft key, must be done within the duration of the potion (typically 30 seconds). This generally means that one will need one potion per item to be enchanted. Note that the Arcane Enchanter's rename screen and the confirmation dialog do stop time and permit the player to review the current enchantment at their leisure.