Fortify Smithing is a property of alchemical ingredients and enchanted apparel. It only affects the improvement of weapons and armor at grindstones and workbenches, not the creation of these items at a forge.
The following ingredients also contain this effect:
|Ingredient||Primary Effect||Secondary Effect||Tertiary Effect||Quaternary Effect|
|Pearlfish||Restore Stamina||Resist Frost||Fortify Smithing||Fortify One-Handed|
|Blisterwort||Damage Stamina||Frenzy||Restore Health||Fortify Smithing|
|Glowing Mushroom||Resist Shock||Fortify Destruction||Fortify Smithing||Fortify Health|
|Spriggan Sap||Damage Magicka Regen||Fortify Enchanting||Fortify Smithing||Fortify Alteration|
|Sabre Cat Tooth||Restore Stamina||Fortify Heavy Armor||Fortify Smithing||Weakness to Poison|
The following potions can be made, and are sold by Apothecary merchants. It should be noted that when using a potion, the 30 second timer will continue during the smithing process itself.
|Blacksmith's Potion||For 30 seconds, weapon and armor improving is 20% better.||0003EB2E|
|Blacksmith's Draught||For 30 seconds, weapon and armor improving is 30% better.||0003995D|
|Blacksmith's Philter||For 30 seconds, weapon and armor improving is 40% better.||00039962|
|Blacksmith's Elixir||For 30 seconds, weapon and armor improving is 50% better.||00039967|
The Fortify Smithing enchantment can be learned by finding one of the following items and disenchanting it: Artifacts and unique items that use the effect include:
- Silver-Blood Family Ring
- The Forgemaster's Fingers
- Notched Pickaxe (does not bear the enchantment itself, but has the same effect).
- Armor sold by Blacksmiths or General Goods Merchants.
- Armor looted from chests and various enemies.
The following types of items can be enchanted with Fortify Smithing:
- Crafted potions of fortify smithing may not affect armor or weapon improvement if perks have not been placed in smithing. Perks allow armor and weapons to be improved beyond base improvement. A potion's percentage seems to affect this difference only.
- To achieve the maximum percent increase for Fortify Smithing Potions of 174%, one must use four 41% enchanted armor pieces of Alchemy, and the Seeker of Shadows perk from Sallow Regent black book. Then, for the actual smithing, one must then combine this potion with four 41% enchanted armor pieces of smithing for maximum smithing upgrades to items (using smithing-specific items only). However, armor rating has a maximum and the ability to craft a maximum suit of armor requires smithing skills far below the maximum obtained with this method.
- Using a workbench or grindstone does not stop time, so in order to obtain the benefits of a potion, the entire improvement process from activation of the workbench or grindstone to the pressing of the improve key must be done within the duration of the potion (typically 30 seconds). This generally means that one will need multiple potions to improve multiple pieces of equipment.