Mjoll the Lioness tells the Dragonborn that in her most recent endeavors, she was nearly killed by a Dwarven Centurion in the ruins of Mzinchaleft. Barely alive, she was saved by Aerin who then brought her back to Riften and nursed her back to health. However, she lost her sword, Grimsever.
To receive Mjoll's quest, the Dragonborn must be at least level 14, and Mjoll must have a friendly disposition towards them. The easiest way to gain her favor is to simply agree with her that the Thieves Guild in Riften is evil. Alternatively, Mjoll's favor can be gained by performing tasks for citizens of Riften.
- Locate Grimsever.
See the Mzinchaleft article for a detailed walkthrough. In the final section, the Mzinchaleft Gatehouse (which also contains a passage to Blackreach), a leveled Dwarven Centurion and a Dwarven Sphere are found. Behind the Centurion (to the right of the archway from where it started) is where Grimsever can be found, next to the splatter of blood.
Once Grimsever is taken, it can be returned to Mjoll to complete the quest. As a reward, Mjoll will become available as a follower.
- Once Mjoll is a follower, she can be given a better weapon, and Grimsever taken. This allows Grimsever to be permanently owned without any consequences.
- If the Dragonborn is unable to interact with Grimsever, a bow and arrow can be used to knock it off the ledge it sits on. It can then be picked up from the ground.
- If Mjoll the Lioness will not give the quest, then leveling up (Must level up in the skill menu) and then speaking to her a second time should open up the quest dialogue.
- Sometimes when following the quest arrow that leads outdoors, the game will glitch, showing the Dragonborn outside, and then the screen will fade. It seems to do this repeatedly.
- Grimsever can disappear from the entrance if another quest which changes Mzinchalefts interior is accepted. This can happen in the case of the Enhanced Dwemer Crossbow Plans for the Dawnguard line. Additem 00053379 combined with setstage FreeformRiften09 30 should fix this.