It is a cave found South-west of Falkreath. Several quests are focused here and can be spoiled by premature exploration. This is a small-to-moderate single-level dungeon with undead foes and moderately difficult bosses in the different instances.
- Find Runil's Journal
- Find Rjorn's Drum - Inside the chest in the final room, where Halldir is found
- Trouble in Skyrim - Kill the leader of Halldir's Cairn
On a pedestal near the column is a journal, telling of a ghostly voice compelling the bandits to kill themselves on a blood-soaked rock cairn, as well as a key to the only door going further inside the cave (Key to Halldir’s Crypt). This first room has no enemies and it is filled with numerous mushrooms.
Eventually there will be a Draugr resting in a throne. After a fight, there will be an iron gate needing to be opened with a lever that is located behind aforementioned throne.Ghosts come to life in sync with advancement through the catacombs, slay them as they appear.
After a while there will be a room holding a Pillar Puzzle. Rotate the three pillars in the room, so that the symbols on the pillars match the symbols on the walls opposite them (Bird, Snake, Fish) then pull a lever to advance to the next room. (This may be bugged, to fix reload) Incorrect combinations result in a dart trap shooting poisoned darts when the lever is pulled.
Once the first step is taken into the final room, a fight against Halldir will begin. He uses strong Destruction spells. When reduced to about two-thirds of his health he will use a special ability to multiply 3 of himself. These three copies each use ice, fire and lightning spells individually. Once all three forms have been defeated, Halldir appears back in the middle of the room. Finish him!
Halldir drops an Ancient Nord Sword with a random enchantment, some gold and Halldir's Staff, which has a 60 second Calm and Soul Trap effect. After Halldir is killed, a trap door in the center of the room can be opened to return to the initial room of the cavern where the blood covered Cairn is gone. All that is left are some rocks on the floor where the cairn was.
Careful! It is a long drop down. Drop to the first partial platform, and then the second before dropping to the floor. A straight drop killed me and my health was at 470.
- Two of Halldir's Staves One from his Ash Pile and one that drops from his hand when killed)
- Rjorn's Drum
- Spell Tome of Raise Undead
- Soul Gems
- Black Soul Gem
- Two Iron Ore Veins
- Alchemy Ingredients, mostly mushrooms: Numerous to be found, mostly in the first room. Approximate numbers:
- Sometimes the Pillar Puzzle will not turn properly when activated, to fix this reload the cave.
- Template:360As this dungeon can be entered several times for different quests, sometimes the object of the venture cannot be obtained, and the quest cannot be finished. For example, if Rjorn's Drum is picked up the first time in the Cairn without having activated that quest, the quest to find it can not be completed. Or, if entered after the first time to kill the leader (Companion's repeatable quest), killing the Dragon Priest that spawns instead of Halldir does NOT complete the quest.
- Template:360Halldir may spawn completely invisible for no apparent reason along with his copies.
- After killing Halldir, it is possible to obtain two staves. (The staff inside his ashes and the individual staff laying on the ground).