Hroggar once had a wife as well as a daughter named Helgi, however, both were caught in the flames of their burning house which was being razed to the ground, and subsequently died. The ghost of Helgi can be found in the quest "Laid to Rest."
Hroggar subsequently moved in with Alva, whom he cares for and protects with his life.
The Jarl of Morthal enlists the aide of the Dragonborn to first investigate the remains of his burned down house. Clues will lead to Alva's House. If the Dragonborn enters her house during the night, Hroggar will attack in his confused state. If the Dragonborn kills Alva and let Hroggar live, he will have returned to his original state before the incident. Hroggar explains that he was seduced by Alva and only reclaimed his own mind after she died and so released him.
Hroggar will buy any firewood brought to him.
- "Here for work? Get an axe and bring me all the wood you can chop."
- "I... I'm not one for talk. Try to keep to myself."
- "I just try and do my job, and not to think about what's happened. Try to find what happiness I can."
- "Ignore the talk of spirits and creatures and such. It's just superstition."
- "There's enough real troubles in the world without making new ones up."
- "Alva's been good to me ever since... well, since the fire."
- "Thank you for saving me from Alva. I was completely under her evil spell. I'll never forgive myself for what happened to Helgi and my wife." ―If he lives after completing Laid to Rest
This section contains bugs related to Hroggar. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- pickpocket the Key to Alva's House from Hroggar can result in a glitch. If the pickpocket attempt is unsuccessful, Hroggar will become hostile and alert a guard, but the guard will actually kill Hroggar. The key may be looted from his body, and no bounty will be added either for murder or pickpocketing. Attempting to
- Alva is killed.
Hroggar may remain hostile even after
- Calm on him may fix this permanently. Using a spell of