- For other uses, see Imperial Soldier.
- 1 Background
- 2 Battle and interactions
- 3 Apparel
- 4 Locations
- 5 Subtypes
- 6 Variants
- 7 Interactions
- 8 Conversations
- 9 Dialogue
- 10 Quotes
- 11 Trivia
- 12 Appearances
- 13 References
They are the main soldiers of the Imperial Legion located in Skyrim. While part of the Imperial forces within the province was not born in Skyrim, a considerable portion of them are local recruits, as the Legion in Skyrim gets few reinforcements from the rest of the Empire. Legionnaires join the Legion forces in Skyrim for a variety of reasons. Some join out of tradition, as their parents were Legionnaires before them and they never considered doing anything else. Others joined out of a desire to see the world, while there were also those who joined the Legion to actively put a halt to the Stormcloaks, despite their families often disagreeing with the notion.
Legionnaires within Skyrim are largely considered to be militia, a feat reflected in their armor, which is often light and not meant for full-on combat. While their forces are commanded by General Tullius, the local recruitment process is performed by Legate Rikke. The most common races making up the Imperial forces in Skyrim are Imperials and Nords, though Redguards, and Bretons also make up its forces. Among the officers, even a Dunmer, and Altmer Legate can be found. Dunmer farmers within Skyrim are occassionally seen making their way to Solitude to join up with the Legion, as they see their treatment at the hands of the Nords as injust. These Dunmer are, however, never seen as Imperial soldiers.
Battle and interactions
Unlike Stormcloak Soldiers, whose ranks are relatively equal in terms of gender, Legion soldiers are all males, with only four female soldiers found at the beginning of the game; one Imperial Soldier at the tower in Helgen, one Imperial Captain, one Imperial Mage fighting Alduin, and one Legate, Legate Rikke. However, it is possible for the Legionnaire's corpse at Dragontooth Crater to be female, as well as an Imperial corpse at Shor's Watchtower.
Imperial Legion Soldiers wear a full set of Imperial Light Armor, wearing either Studded Imperial Armor or normal Imperial Light Armor. They sometimes use Imperial Shields, and are armed with Imperial Swords and an Imperial Bow with Steel Arrows.
Legate Rikke and Captains wear heavier Imperial Armor with the Imperial Officer's Helmet, while normal Legates wear heavy Imperial Armor, without the helmet. They are armed with Imperial Swords and an Imperial Bow, with steel arrows at their disposal.
- At the beginning of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Imperial Soldiers lead the Dragonborn to be executed in Helgen. Hadvar is the first Imperial Soldier the Dragonborn can speak with.
- Imperial Camps
- Imperial Guards appear in cities conquered by the Imperial Legion during the Civil War quest line; they are Imperial Soldiers that act as Hold Guards.
- Defending captured forts.
- Assaulting Japhet's Folly during the quest "Rise in the East."
- They can be found throughout the Civil War quest line, as either allies or enemies depending on which side chosen.
- Three Imperial Soldiers can appear as random encounters, escorting a Stormcloak Prisoner to Solitude.
- Three Imperial Soldiers can be found in a random encounter fighting three Stormcloak Soldiers. The Dragonborn can join the fight on either side with no repercussions.
- Three Imperial Soldiers can be found in a random encounter fighting three members of the Forsworn.
- Three Imperial Soldiers can be found, wandering the wilds.
- Three Imperial Soldiers can be found at an unmarked reach camp in Markath Hold where they are fighting Forsworn.
- Imperial Soldier – Basic Legion soldiers which make up most of the Army, proficient in One-Handed and Light Armor skills.
- Imperial Archer – Legion soldiers with a higher Archery skill than One-Handed skill.
- Imperial Mage – Legion soldiers that are proficient in Destruction Magic. Only two of these can be found at the beginning of the game.
- Imperial Quartermaster – Legion blacksmiths that can be traded with, who can be found in the Imperial Camps.
- Imperial Fort Commander – Commanding officer at a captured fort.
- Imperial Field Legate – Commands the soldiers in the field and second only to the general.
- Imperial General – Highest Commanding officer of the entire Legion.
|Click to show|
Imperial Soldiers are involved with the vast majority of quests in the Civil War questline, either as allies or enemies.
As mercenaries of the East Empire Company, Legion soldiers are involved in this quest to get rid of a group of pirates.
Captain Valmir of the Thalmor has been abusing the war effort in an attempt to gain a powerful artifact at Forelhost, sending numerous Imperials and Stormcloaks to their deaths. Near the end of the quest, Valmir will be attacked by either an Imperial or Stormcloak soldier.
|Show: At Helgen|
Imperial: "General Tullius, sir! The headsman is waiting!"
Hadvar: "Captain. What should we do? He/She's not on the list."
After Alduin's first roar:
Hadvar: "What was that?"
After Alduin's second roar:
Hadvar: "There it is again. Did you hear that?"
After Alduin roars for the third time, appears atop the tower:
Tullius: "What in Oblivion is that?"
Imperial Soldier: "The wounds are deep, Vilod! I can't stop the blood."
|Show: Siege on the Dragon Cult|
Captain Valmir: "The research I've done seems to indicate that Skorm Snow-Strider left part of his journal here after laying siege. I believe it should indicate how to enter the blocked off sections of the stronghold. I should warn you, Forelhost is quite haunted, but I'm sure you can handle it. Return to me here once you've obtained the staff."
|At various locations:
Imperial Soldier 1: "I'm still sore where I took that arrow, I hate archers."
|Show: Why did you join up with the Legion|
|At various locations:
Imperial Soldier 1:
Imperial Soldier 2:
|Show: Imperial Armor|
|At various locations:
Imperial Soldier 1: "This Imperial armor is damn heavy."
|At various locations:
Imperial Soldier 1: "I'm sick of waiting, when are we going to see some action?"
Civil War questline
|Show: The Jagged Crown|
Legate Rikke: "What's the situation?"
At the second room:
Legate Rikke: "I don't like the look of this. Perfect spot for an ambush. Ten to one they're just waiting for us on the other side."
After seeing a dead draugr:
Imperial Soldier 1: "What in the nine holds is that?"
At the Hall of Stories:
Legate Rikke: "And this must be the Hall of Stories."
As a Stormcloak:
Imperial Soldier: "You hear anything?"
|Show: Message to Whiterun|
Imperial Soldier: "Sir! I... I have..."
"Thanks! I thought I was going to rot in here. So what's the plan?"
- We've got men outside, we're taking over the fort. "Good! I've got a few scores to settle."
- Wait here. "All right."
- "Damn Stormcloak rebels."
- "What the rebels like to forget, is that the Empire is what's keeping the Dominion out of Skyrim."
- "Can't wait to kill another of Ulfric's boys."
- "Stay sharp."
- "Keep your guard up."
- "Keep an eye out for trouble. It's only a matter of time."
- "Keep your eyes open."
- "The waiting... the insufferable waiting."
- "Can't wait to gut one of those rebels."
- "Soon. I can almost taste it."
- "Well? Where the hell are those damned Stormcloaks? Let's get this over with already."
- "If those rebels think they can best us, they have another think coming."
- "Keep an eye out for Stormcloak spies."
- "Been so long since I killed a Stormcloak, my sword arm's getting flabby."
- "Stay alert. Never know when those Stormcloak dogs might charge."
- "Not sure you belong here, citizen." – When tresspassing in an Imperial Camp as a Stormcloak
- Quest quotes
- "How in Oblivion do we kill this thing?" – During "Unbound"
- "What in the eight divines is this monster?" – During "Unbound"
- "Use everything we have!" – During "Unbound"
- "General Tullius, over here!" – During "Unbound"
- "What in the Eight Divines is this thing?" – During "Unbound"
- "Keep your eyes on it!" – During "Unbound"
- "It's still coming!" – During "Unbound"
- "By Ysmir! Nothing kills it!" – During "Unbound"
- "Die! For the love of the gods, die!" – During "Unbound"
- "Stormcloaks, get them!" – During "Unbound"
- "Stormcloaks!" – During "Unbound"
- "Stormcloaks! Filthy traitors!" – During "Unbound"
- "The prisoners are escaping!" – During "Unbound"
- "You won't leave Helgen alive!" – During "Unbound"
- "Hey, weren't you on the carts with the Stormcloaks? Ah, well, if Hadvar vouches for you I guess it must be all right." – During "Unbound," if pacified
- "I saw Caius.. that dragon just grabbed him and... I don't know how I made it out of there..." – During "Unbound," if pacified
- "Nothing for it but to keep moving." – During "Unbound," if pacified
- "Better down here than out there." – During "Unbound," if pacified
- "A dragon.... First in a thousand years...." – During "Unbound," if pacified
- "The Legion's always looking for strong, capable warriors. If you think you've got what it takes, our headquarters is in Solitude." ― Starts "Joining the Legion"
- "Don't interfere with Imperial Legion business. Now move along, unless you want three inches of steel in your gut." ― During The Jagged Crown
- "The Stormcloaks will be here any minute! Hurry! Get inside and lock your doors!" – During "Battle for Whiterun"
- "Citizens! Go home and lock your doors!" – During "Battle for Whiterun"
- "It's not safe out here! Return to your homes immediately!" – During "Battle for Whiterun"
- "Over there, by the fence! Do you see them?" – During "Battle for Whiterun"
- "We sure showed them, eh? Thanks for your part in all that." – After "Battle for Whiterun"
- "Good job out there. Glad you were with us." – After "Battle for Whiterun"
- "Thanks. Couldn't have done that without you." – After "Battle for Whiterun"
- "We destroyed those Stormcloak traitors!" – After "Battle for Whiterun"
- "We sure showed them!"
- "They'll think twice before coming back here, that's for sure!"
- "We did it!"
- "I feel so alive!"
- Legion ranks
- During combat
- "Die rebel!"
- "Send Ulfric my regards!"
- "You call yourself a warrior?"
- "For the Emperor!"
- "For the glory of the Empire!"
- "Ha! I've suffered worse during training!"
- "Agh! I been wounded worse by better!"
- "That's it? That's all you've got?"
- "Agh! Bastard!"
- "Lucky... hit..."
- "Son of a..."
- "Agh! Enough! This ends now!"
- Warning player of Trespassing or escorting Stormcloak Prisoner
- "Imperial business. Be on your way."
- "This is none of your concern, citizen."
- "Move along."
- "Citizen. I'm warning you. Your presence is interfering with Imperial business. Be gone!"
- "Be gone!"
- "Citizen. You have been warned. You leave me no choice but to resort to violence."
- "You leave me no choice, citizen."
- "You have been warned."
- Guard quotes
- "Now that the Empire's arrived in Riften, we've finally established a launching point into Morrowind... just in case." −In Riften
- "So is it Riften or Rifton? This place has changed its name so many times, I can't even remember." −In Riften
- "Seems like capturing Riften is turning out to be more of a hassle than a benefit. But what do I know?" −In Riften
- "Why we bothered to capture Riften I'll never understand. Just look at this place." −In Riften
- "This city still reeks with the stench of the Stormcloaks. Makes me sick to my stomach." −In Riften
- "Don't worry about those Stormcloaks. You're safe from them here. As if they'd want the place anyway." −In Winterhold
- "Dawnstar is the last port of call before Solitude. Damn rebels aren't taking it." −In Dawnstar
- "Let's see those Stormcloaks try to break into this canyon." −In Markarth
- Cut quotes
- "If you're planning violence against me or mine, you'll regret it."
- "What do you want with us?"
- "Please! Have mercy... I beg you..."
- "Help us and you may earn a pardon." – During "Unbound"
- According to the Manual of Armor, light armor is mainly used for scouts, archers, light cavalry and skirmishers, while heavy armor should be used by frontline infantry, pikemen, heavy cavalry or foot knights. Despite this, every legion soldier seen in game uses light armor.
- Stormcloak soldiers may say that "Legion soldiers gleam like fresh-fallen snow and clank like a kitchen," but the Imperial Studded Armor that Legion soldiers wear in game does not reflect sunlight and is not noisy, thus implying that imperial soldiers would use heavy armor as well during Skyrim's Civil War (what is also implied by how Beirand says "heavy armor for full on combat" if the player questions him about the type of armor during Get Outfitted)
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- The Elder Scrolls Legends: Moons of Elsweyr
- Nords Arise!
- Conversations between Galmar Stone-Fist and Stormcloak Soldiers during "The Jagged Crown"
- Dialogue with Legates
- Conversations between Imperial Soldiers
- Dialogue with Legate Rikke
- Dialogue with Beirand
- The Holds of Skyrim
- Dialogue with General Tullius
- Random Encounters in Skyrim
- Dialogue with Dunmer farmers