The Iron Sword is a one-handed weapon that appears in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It is among the most common and weakest of all weapons available, and is one of the first weapons to which the Dragonborn has access to.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Both enchanted and unenchanted swords are available throughout Skyrim at level 1. These locations include:
- Three can be found in the first room of Helgen Keep when following Hadvar, or can be backtracked to with Ralof. There is one on each weapon rack in the room and one in the chest next to them.
- Blacksmiths and general goods merchants.
- Wielded by various characters or enemies.
- Found as random loot in chests or as a world item throughout Skyrim.
Smithing[edit | edit source]
It can be upgraded with an iron ingot at a grindstone, though it does not benefit from any Smithing perks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Iron Sword is the first weapon the Dragonborn can pick up if Hadvar is followed. Some are found in the room where the Dragonborn's bindings are removed.
- The Dragonborn will automatically be seen tempering one when using a Grindstone.
- In Ysgramor's Tomb, a broken iron sword can be found near his statue.
- The Hold Guards tend to say "Iron sword, eh? What are you fighting, butterflies?," "That iron sword's pretty undependable. You should try steel," or "Pigsticker like that's not going to get you far. Best visit the blacksmith." if the Dragonborn has an iron sword equipped.
- The Iron Sword resembles the Baselard, a dagger or short sword from the Late Middle Ages.