- For other uses, see Ivarstead.
Ivarstead (Dragon Language: Hillgrund-Hofkah: "Hillgrund-," also known as Hillgrund's Steading in the First Era) is a town of a small community in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim that is located far west from Shor's Stone and west-northwest from Riften. It serves as a rest stop for pilgrims before they make the journey up the Seven Thousand Steps to High Hrothgar.
Ivarstead is roughly halfway between Riften and Whiterun. It is still within the Rift and is therefore governed by Riften. It is, in fact the only town in Skyrim which is not along a major road travelling between two Hold capitals. The citizens are often heard complaining about how they want to leave Ivarstead as there is nothing there.
Apart from buying and selling food at the inn, no merchants are available in Ivarstead. If fast travel is not an option or not desired, the quartermaster at the Rift Imperial Camp due south of town (or alternatively the Rift Stormcloak Camp due east of town across the lake) constitute the only nearby resupply.
Boti, resident of Fellstar Farm, buys leeks, wheat, cabbage and potatoes from the Dragonborn. Due to a faltering economical situation in Ivarstead, no leeks are grown in the village. Temba Wide-Arm will also purchase any available firewood chopped for 5 a piece.
The river is abundant with many kinds of fish and dartwings of both colors. The surrounding area is ripe with game, with many deer, bears and rabbits to hunt.
- Bassianus Axius
- Lynly Star-Sung
- Temba Wide-Arm
- Ivarstead Guard
Points of interest
- Temba Wide-Arm's Mill
- Shroud Hearth Barrow
|Climb The Steps||Speak to Klimmek and agree to deliver some goods and supplies to High Hrothgar||Klimmek||Klimmek's House|
|Investigate Shroud Hearth Barrow||Speak to the innkeeper Wilhelm at Vilemyr Inn||Wilhelm||Vilemyr Inn|
|The Straw that Broke||Find out what's bothering Narfi||Wilhelm||Vilemyr Inn|
|Bounty Quests||Get paid to slay a Dragon or kill a Bandit Chief||Wilhelm||Vilemyr Inn|
|Grin and Bear It||Collect 10 Bear Pelts for Temba Wide-Arm||Temba Wide-Arm||Vilemyr Inn|
|Woodcutting||Get paid to chop firewood||Temba Wide-Arm||Vilemyr Inn|
|Way of the Voice||Pass through Ivarstead on your way to High Hrothgar||Balgruuf the Greater||Dragonsreach|
|The Book of Love||Help Fastred persuade her parents to allow her to move with her lover to Riften or convince Klimmek to show his love for her.||Dinya Balu||Temple of Mara in Riften|
|Contract: Kill Narfi||Kill Narfi in Ivarstead.||Nazir||Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary|
|Discover Svidi's Wherabouts||Locate Sibbi Black-Briar's ex-fiancée—so he can kill her.||Sibbi Black-Briar||Riften Jail|
|Help Wylandriah||Retrieve Wylandriah missing items||Wylandriah||Mistveil Keep|
|Smuggler's Run||Deliver a smuggled Black-Briar Mead Keg to Wilhelm in Ivarstead.||Romlyn Dreth||Black-Briar Meadery|
- Ivarstead is one of the few towns outside of hold capitals to have their own guards.
- If the Dragonborn has started the "Alduin's Bane" quest and heads down to Ivarstead without defeating Alduin, they will still be able to hear Paarthurnax's dialogue and see Alduin flying around the mountaintop.
- A Nirnroot plant can also be found just west of Vilemyr Inn by the riverside.
- A troll's lair is nearby, in the direction of Riften, with two dead Stormcloaks carrying a note about investigating mysterious attacks.
- If Hearthfire is installed, one clay deposit can be found southeast of Narfi's broken down house and one stone quarry west of it.
- After the main quest is over, Odahviing may be seen flying around the Throat of the World.
- Even though Ivarstead is in The Rift, the guards are not named "Riften Guard." Guards in Ivarstead are called "Ivarstead Guard," but still wear the Riften Hold emblem on their shields. In addition, they still wear the same Riften Hold color (purple) on their armor and helmets.
- All of the residents, except for Narfi, can be asked what they know about High Hrothgar.
- This is one of the few places where the waterwheel on the mill rotates clockwise.
- Ivarstead's Dragon name, like Whiterun, Rorikstead, Granite Hill and Old Hroldan's, is written without the combined letter for "AH" (), instead using "A" () and "H" () separately.
- All of the NPCs in Ivarstead may be duplicated, and, every time one is killed, they respawn the next time the location is loaded. There will always be two of every citizen.
- At the beginning of the game, despite Riften being controlled by Laila Law-Giver and therefore the Stormcloaks, the bard there may still sing The Age of Aggression instead of the pro-Stormcloak's song, The Age of Oppression.