Joining the Stormcloaks is a quest available in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in which the Dragonborn must complete the initiation into the Stormcloak Rebellion to fight with them in the Civil War. Completing this quest does not lock the Dragonborn into the Stormcloak line of the Civil War, as the Dragonborn may switch sides in the next quest.
- Kill the Ice Wraith
- Report to Galmar
- Take the oath
There are several ways to join the Stormcloaks. A miscellaneous quest to join the Stormcloaks can be obtained by following Ralof during "Unbound." Upon entering with Ralof, the quest is automatically received after leaving the keep. The quest also can be activated either by going to Windhelm and talking to Ulfric Stormcloak or by talking to traveling farmers or Stormcloak soldiers.
After receiving the quest, it is necessary to travel to Windhelm and the Palace of the Kings to speak to Ulfric. Upon entering the Palace, Ulfric and Galmar will be in a heated discussion about the ongoing Civil War discussion shown below:
|Click to show|
|In the Palace of the Kings:
Galmar: "Balgruuf won't give us a straight answer."
Galmar: "Your words give voice to what we all feel, Ulfric. And that's why you will be High King. But the day words are enough, will be the day when soldiers like us are no longer needed."
After speaking to Ulfric, he tells the Dragonborn to speak to Galmar Stone-Fist. Galmar asks that the Dragonborn prove his or her worth in joining the Stormcloak Rebellion by traveling to The Serpent Stone and killing an ice wraith. This completes the miscellaneous quest and begins the full quest of the same name.
After leaving the palace and traveling north, the Serpent Stone is found amidst floating icebergs in the middle of the sea near the edge of the map, north of Windhelm and east of Winterhold. The stone is on top of a hill that can only be climbed from the north side. After the ice wraith is found and killed, upon reporting back to Galmar, he will administer the oath to become a Stormcloak. This completes the quest and begins the next, "The Jagged Crown."
|Joining the Stormcloak – CW01B|
|1||To prove myself worthy of becoming a Stormcloak, Galmar Stone-Fist has sent me to kill an Ice Wraith at Serpentstone Isle.
- Completion of this quest will cause the Stormcloaks to refer to the Dragonborn as "Unblooded."
- Completing this quest immediately fails the "Joining the Legion" quest; however, the Imperials can still be joined by turning the Jagged Crown in to General Tullius instead of Ulfric Stormcloak during the quest "The Jagged Crown."
- The Legion's version of this quest, "Joining the Legion," is actually harder than the Stormcloak's version; the Legion's quest has the player character clearing out an entire fort occupied by bandits, whilst the Stormcloak's version only pits the player against one ice wraith.
This section contains bugs related to Joining the Stormcloaks. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Sometimes after killing the ice wraith and reporting back to Galmar Stone-Fist, he still behaves in the same manner as before the ice wraith was killed, resulting in having to do this portion of the quest again.
- Occasionally, when speaking to Ulfric Stormcloak, the quest will not start.
| Taking Sides|
Join the Stormcloaks or the Imperial Army
|Civil War Quests (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)|
|Imperial Legion|| Joining the Legion • Get Outfitted • The Jagged Crown • Message to Whiterun|
Battle for Whiterun • Reunification of Skyrim • A False Front • The Battle for Fort Dunstad
Compelling Tribute • The Battle for Fort Greenwall • The Battle for Fort Sungard • Rescue from Fort Kastav
The Battle for Fort Snowhawk • The Battle for Fort Neugrad • The Battle for Fort Amol • Battle for Windhelm
|Stormcloaks|| Joining the Stormcloaks • The Jagged Crown • Message to Whiterun • Battle for Whiterun|
Liberation of Skyrim • Rescue from Fort Neugrad • Compelling Tribute • The Battle for Fort Sungard
A False Front • The Battle for Fort Snowhawk • The Battle for Fort Dunstad • The Battle for Fort Greenwall
The Battle for Fort Kastav • The Battle for Fort Hraggstad • Battle for Solitude
|Other|| Dragon Rising (required to start "Battle for Whiterun")|
Season Unending (may influence "Liberation of Skyrim" and "Reunification of Skyrim")