Summary[edit | edit source]
Karthwasten has several houses that contain silver ingots and ore and two silver mines. The Dragonborn visits here in order to start the quest "The Heart of Dibella." When the Dragonborn first arrives here, two groups are in a heated debate over the mine. There is a miscellaneous quest to determine who has control of the mine.
- If all of the Silver-Blood mercenaries are killed or persuaded to leave, the reward is a leveled amount of gold.
- It is also possible to persuade Ainethach to sell his mine. Report back to the mercenary leader in the mine and he will give a leveled reward in gold.
- The Dragonborn can then kill him along with his entire crew then report back to Ainethach to get another reward.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Two smelters are located here, one outside of each mine.
- In Sanuarach Mine (the largest of the two mines), the corpse of a hagraven will be lying outside by the smelter. Very rarely, this hagraven will carry an empty black soul gem.
- The second point of the Bugs section below mentions a Nirnroot that can be heard but not seen. At the same location, southeast shore of Karth River, southeast of Karthwasten (a dead tree lies half in the water, half in the rocks), between Four Skull Lookout and Sundered Towers, in the dead branches on the floor a strongbox can be found (Brush Strongbox: Riverside, an unmarked location).
- This is the only town not to feature Guards. Although once Atar and his Silver-Blood mercenaries are dealt with regarding Sanuarach Mine, returning to town reveals both Sanuarach Mine and Fenn's Gulch Mine are now each guarded by a Reach Hold Guard respectively.
- Karthwasten was the capital of The Reach, before it was replaced by Markarth. 
Quests[edit | edit source]
- The Heart of Dibella
- Gharol's Message – Deliver Gharol's sword to her daughter Lash gra-Dushnikh in Karthwasten.
- Sanuarach Mine
Bugs[edit | edit source]
This section contains bugs related to Karthwasten (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Occasionally, fast traveling and waiting will be disabled as the game thinks there is an enemy nearby when there is not. If that is the case, then the closest place that can be fast traveled from is the hill that links the town to a road adjacent to a nearby river.
- Directly southeast of Karthwasten near where a nirnroot plant is found, another nirnroot plant can be heard on the opposite side of the river, near the canyon wall. Using console commands, the nirnroot can be found below the ground where the cliff meets the water.
Location[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, First Edition: Skyrim – shown in the first image.