As an essential character, he cannot die, even after the Civil War questline has been completed.
He can be seen with a Imperial Bow equipped firing Steel Arrows at the Stormcloak soldiers during the attack and has a group of Imperial soldiers around him. After the attack he walks back in to Whiterun and making his way up to Dragonsreach.
- He can be found standing near a ruined monolith east of Rorikstead.
- This may happen when Whiterun has been captured for the Imperials, but he will still appear here despite the fact the Imperial Whiterun camp is no longer there.
- If found alone east of Rorikstead, attacking will cause him to become hostile, but no bounty will incur. When his health reaches zero, he falls to his knees and regains full health after a few seconds. Upon standing up, he is no longer hostile. This allows the player to level up combat and destruction skills by repeatedly attacking him with no penalty.
- When using Detect Life he shows as an enemy.
- During the Message to Whiterun quest, you're asked to report to him, and in some instances he will not give you the quest dialogue for you to proceed, instead only offers generic guard responses. there appears to be no fix for this.