- Main article: Books (Skyrim)
- Upon completion of "Dragon Rising," a courier can randomly appear and deliver the letter to the Dragonborn after using a Dragon Shout in any named area. It will point to the location of a Word Wall, which is determined by when and where the Dragonborn receives the letter.
- The unofficial Skyrim patch may require the location to be inhabited.
[Player character's name],
You caused a bit of stir in [Location] when you demonstrated the power of your Thu'um. Not everyone is anxious for the return of the Dragonborn.
I for one desire to see you grow and develop your talents. Skyrim needs a true hero these days.
You should turn your attention to [Location]. I understand it holds a mysterious source of power that can only be unlocked by the Dragonborn.
- A Letter from a Friend may be received before or after collecting seven of the Dragon Priest masks stating that a stir had been created in Labyrinthian, even if no shout had been used.
- Locations mentioned where a Shout was used may also be indoor locations, such as the player character's house, stores, etc.
- A Letter from a Friend may be received stating that a stir had been created in Soul Cairn or in Apocrypha, if shouts had been used there.
- Both locations in the letter can match one another even if the Word Wall there has already been acquired.
- The location where one is said to have "demonstrated [their] Thu'um" will sometimes be a place where no one could have witnessed it, let alone have been "stirred" (ex., during The Throat of the World or in Apocrypha).
- In some cases, the text may disappear, rendering the letter useless.
- Sometimes, the letter will start by saying, "You caused a bit of stir in when you demonstrated the power of your Thu'um," leaving out the location where it occurred.
- The shout may be inaccessible. It is possible that the word is learned already or that the game has bugged out.
- console command
SetStage WICastMagic04 200will force-complete the quest, unblocking it. Using the
- console command