- For other uses, see Lightning Storm.
Lightning Storm is the highest-level lightning spell, acting as the final upgrade for Sparks.
It produces a constant stream of lightning towards a single direction aimed by the spell. In terms of its magicka cost to damage ratio, Lightning Storm is the most efficient Destruction spell at the master level.
It is an instant-hit spell with a very long range, making it a great spell for attacking airborne targets, such as a flying dragon.
While casting this spell, the caster must use both hands and remain stationary, though the aim of the spell may be freely changed. Since the caster must lock themselves in the state of keeping the spell up, the spell can be interrupted if the caster takes an impact from certain sources, such as power attacks, power shots, and certain dragon shouts.
The impact of the spell itself is very noticeable. Casting it in a room full of objects will most likely send many of them flying, as if they were hit by something like Unrelenting Force.
- This is the best Destruction spell for use against air targets (mainly flying dragons). Oddly, it does not harm hawks.
- The spell is able to reduce targets (even dragons) to a pile of ash, even if the Dragonborn does not have the perk Disintegrate. Dragons reduced to ash piles are still lootable and will usually yield a soul.
- Having both ranks of the "Augmented Shock" perk raises the spell damage to 112 per second.
- While using the spell, the Dragonborn is vulnerable to various attacks. That's because this is a single-target, damage over time, concentration-based spell. It requires the caster to constantly remain stationary and wait for the damage to accumulate. The spell also requires warming up, which lasts about 3 seconds. After casting the spell and while keeping it active, the caster is a sitting duck.
- Prior to using this spell for killing enemies, it is always a good idea to anticipate how the combat unfolds and keep the Dragonborn safe, hidden, or otherwise protected.
- Weight: 1
- Value: 1400
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
- Faralda at the College of Winterhold sells the tome after the Dragonborn completes the Destruction Ritual Spell.
- This spell can be dual-casted at slightly over double the magicka cost by using both hands at the same time.
- Augmented Shock will increase the damage by 25% on the first point and 50% on the second point.
- Master Destruction reduces the spell cost by 69 per second.
- Necromage adds 25% more damage to undead enemies.
- The spell, when cast, appears to spin in a vortex.
- Hitting a wall or solid object—such as a pillar or chest—with Lightning Storm causes a continuous rumbling sound.
- Zahkriisos and Miraak have their own special version of Lightning Storm that can be cast with one hand, with a magicka cost of 86, 40% less than the basic version, and 40 shock damage per second. It can only be obtained with the console commands and only works with the right hand.