Lights Out! is a quest available in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. If the Dragonborn approaches Jaree-Ra in Solitude, he will state that he has a plan to rob an Imperial ship which will soon dock. He asks the Dragonborn to go to the Solitude Lighthouse and put out the fire there so that the ship will wreck on the nearby coast, then go talk to his sister Deeja. Unbeknownst to the Dragonborn, it's a setup that Jaree-Ra planned in order to attempt to kill the player, to avoid having to give them a reward.
- Extinguish the fire in the Solitude Lighthouse
- Return to Jaree-Ra
- Find Deeja at the Wreck of the Icerunner
- Speak to Deeja, to get a share of the loot
- Defeat Deeja
- Find out where Jaree-Ra's bandits took the loot
- Travel to Broken Oar Grotto
- Defeat Jaree-Ra
Extinguish the fire in the Solitude Lighthouse
Go upstairs and activate the fire to put it out. The wreck of the Icerunner will then appear on the shore.
Return to Jaree-Ra
He will be down at the docks, next to the East Empire Company Warehouse. He will say that the work was well done, and that the ship wrecked near the coast just as he wished. The Dragonborn must go to the wreck of the Icerunner and speak to his sister, Deeja, to get a share of the loot.
Find and Defeat Deeja
She will be located in the hull of the ship. Go down to the bottom level where water is beginning to puddle, moving past the Blackblood Marauders. Despite Jaree-Ra's assurance that the sailors would not be harmed, Deeja and the Blackblood Marauders have murdered everyone aboard the ship. The corpses of the sailors and the Imperial soldiers may be looted along the way. Deeja will first thank the Dragonborn for helping with the Solitude Lighthouse but suddenly state that you've earned a quick death, just before attacking. The note on her corpse will reveal where Jaree-Ra can be found.
It is optional to kill all the Blackblood Marauders before talking to Deeja, along with taking the loot now from their boat before the marauders leave the Icerunner with it, or later at the end of the quest chain. Taking it straight from the boat may count as stealing.
Deeja can be killed without speaking to her and the story will still progress, although there is the risk that the quest will not update (). When exiting the Icerunner it is clear that Deeja was indeed telling the truth about the loot already being gone. Only one Blackblood Marauder remains outside and all but one long boat gone.
Travel to Broken Oar Grotto and Kill Jaree-Ra
Broken Oar Grotto can be found along the coast near the Solitude Lighthouse. Several beached longboats are clustered near the entrance. Blackblood Marauders patrol the grotto. Jaree-Ra will be on or near the large scaffolding in the area's center, guarded by more Marauders and Captain Hargar.
Killing Jaree-Ra completes the quest. After the fight, a key can be looted from his corpse that opens the Icerunner's loot chest.
|Lights Out! – MS07|
|10||Jaree-Ra on the Solitude docks has an offer for me.
|50||Jaree-Ra has asked me to put out the Solitude lighthouse fire.
|100||I've put out the Solitude Lighthouse Fire. I must return to Jaree-Ra and find out if a ship has crashed.
|125||I've put out the Solitude Lighthouse fire and the Icerunner has failed to dock. I am to head up Solitude's eastern shoreline to find where it's run aground and meet Deeja.
|150||I've put out the Solitude Lighthouse fire and the Icerunner has run aground. When I went to meet Deeja at the wreck things went horribly wrong. I must defeat Deeja to retrieve my share of the loot.
|175||Jaree-Ra has betrayed me and taken the loot from the Icerunner. I've defeated his sister Deeja, now I must track down Jaree-Ra.
|225||Jaree-Ra has betrayed me and taken the loot from the Icerunner to Camp Broken Oar. I must defeat Jaree-Ra.
|250||I have defeated Jaree-Ra and his bandits.
- If the Dragonborn and Ahtar have spoken previously, Ahtar may also ask for a captain residing in Broken Oar Grotto to be killed. If so, it is possible to complete both quests at the same time. The Dragonborn can go to him afterwards and collect the reward.
- The Dragonborn can get a quest with the same objective from a bounty letter by talking to Corpulus Vinius at The Winking Skeever and asking him if there are any jobs available. The Dragonborn then turns in the quest to Falk Firebeard instead. It is not possible to get the quest from both Ahtar and the bounty letter.
- The captain's chest is located in the sunken ship near his quarters. It has a Master lock on it, but killing the Captain gets his key to unlock it.
- If the Dragonborn has the Ebony Blade, and uses it to kill Deeja and Jaree-Ra, they count as "friends" and it will recharge the enchantment.
This section contains bugs related to Lights Out!. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
The chest from the Icerunner may not be in the hideout and Jaree-Ra may not have the key on him.
- Reloading a previous save from before reading the Note From Jaree-Ra may fix this, though the chest may be unlocked and therefore not require a key from Jaree-ra.
- For some reason Jaree-Ra may be hostile upon meeting him on the docks, and if he's pushed in the sea he'll just go with the stream never to return.
- If Jaree-Ra is hostile at the docks, fight him until he is down, but don't kill him. Then leave and return three in-game days later to the docks and he should no longer be hostile.
- Beast Form.
When the Dragonborn kills Deeja, her body may fall through the bottom of the ship and be inaccessible. The player cannot get to it to search it and thus cannot continue the quest. This may also occur when in
- One way to fix this issue is to reload an earlier saved game and try again.
tcl. One way to bypass this is to use the console command
- The quest may not update objectives when completed, but the marker will continue to point in the right direction until the end of the quest and it is possible to complete it even though the objectives don't record completed objectives.
- Note from Jaree-Ra will not show where they are hiding. To fix this, put it the inventory and read it again. If this still does not fix it, put it in the inventory and drop it, then read it again. Sometimes the
- When entering Broken Oar Grotto, sometimes there will be extremely little light, and spells which create light will not help. This can be fixed by leaving Broken Oar Grotto and then re-entering.
- Captain Hargar may have the key instead of Jaree-Ra.
- Sometimes after defeating Deeja, it will say Failed: Defeat Deeja leaving the quest unbeatable. To fix this, exit the game and start it again.