Magelight is an Apprentice-level Alteration spell in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Once cast, the player sends a small orb of light that travels in the direction they have aimed. When it makes contact with any solid object (characters included), it stops and floats in mid-air, acting as a source of light.
Usefulness[edit | edit source]
Advantages[edit | edit source]
- Candlelight). However, if the player attempts to cast it twice on the same person or creature while one orb is still floating around, the game may freeze. This spell may be used on a moving character or creature. When the spell hits the enemy, it acts as a little assistant and will follow the enemy until the spell's duration is up (like
- Combined with Frost Rune, Fire Rune or Shock Rune, Magelight becomes a Destruction spell.
- Magelight is a helpful spell to level up Alteration when at low levels, as the player may cast it anywhere at anytime with no negative repercussions. However, some characters may become aggressive if the spell is cast on them.
- Dragon Bones can be moved by aiming the spell at the bones and casting it, propelling them until they hit another object.
- Allows the Dragonborn to open doors in the Soul Cairn, casting the spell to the light orbs.
- The Dragonborn may have two orbs active at a time, one in the environment and one on a character (one can also be cast on any corpse, allowing three or more orbs to be active at the same time).
Drawbacks[edit | edit source]
- There is no way to turn off Magelight before it times out.
- As the light illuminates an area, sneaking might prove difficult where these lights have been cast. Enemies can also investigate the light if they see them.
Spell tome[edit | edit source]
Attributes[edit | edit source]
- Weight: 1
- Value: 87
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
Acquisition[edit | edit source]
- Farengar Secret-Fire sells this spell at Dragonsreach.
- Tolfdir sells this spell at the College of Winterhold, upon reaching level 25 Alteration.
- Faralda, the gatekeeper, may also offer to teach the spell in order for the player to gain passage to the College.
- Random merchant's inventory item.
- Random loot in chests/dungeons.
Perks[edit | edit source]
- Apprentice Alteration will reduce the cost of casting in half
- Stability will increase the duration by 50%
Scrolls and staves[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Candlelight • Detect Dead • Detect Life • Dragonhide • Ebonyflesh • Equilibrium • Magelight • Mass Paralysis • Midden Torch • Oakflesh |
Paralyze • Ironflesh • Stoneflesh • Telekinesis • Transmute Mineral Ore • Waterbreathing
|Ash Shell • Ash Rune|
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Alteration Ritual Spell • Mage Armor • Magicka • Perks • Magic • College of Winterhold • Alteration trainers|