The Mages Guild is an institution dedicated to the research and study of magic. In The Elder Scrolls: Arena, spells are learned and researched here. The Mages Guild also acts as a merchant, buying and selling magical items and identifying found magical items.
The outside of many Mages Guild buildings has a hedge with an ornate archway leading into a grassy courtyard. The side and back walls are patterned with the distinguishing teal bricks and gold-colored windows. Others are more simple structures, marked only by a sign with the Eye of Horus.
In the Guild building, there is only one mage, dressed in blue robes decorated with white stars a pointed mage hat of the same texture and a sparking staff in the left hand. The services provided by the guild depends on the player's class: Warriors and Thieves except Bards may only buy potions and pay for investigating the enchantment of found artifacts, while Bards and Mage classes can also learn spells if paid the required amount of gold.
- Buying and selling spells and magical items, including potions.
- Identifying magical items, for a price proportional to the power of the item.
- Making new spells with the Spell Maker.
- 1-2 level 2 Battlemages
- A level 2 Spellsword
- 2 level 2 Mages
- A level 4 Spellsword
- A level 5 Nightblade
- A level 6 Mage
- A level 7 Nightblade
- 2 level 4 Spellswords
- A level 10 Mage
- A level 11 Battlemage
- 2 level 6 Mages or Spellswords
- A level 12 Nightblade
- 3 level 4 Mages
- An Ice Golem
- A Stone Golem
- A level 17 Nightblade
- A Fire Daemon
- 2 level 9 Battlemages
- 2 Trolls
- 2 Homonculi
- A level 21 Mage
When the Eternal Champion is attacked by a member of this faction, one of the following messages will play, changing depending on the form the encounter has taken:
- The [encounter] before you bears the colors of the Mages' Guild proudly. The intention is obvious - your quest is not to be completed.
- There is nothing accidental about meeting with this [encounter], wearing the colors of the Mages' Guild and intent on disrupting your quest.
- It is said that the Mages' Guild is a beneficent organization, but deadly when crossed. One look in the [encounter]'s eyes and you see the truth in the saying.
- The rumors of the Mages' Guild's hostility toward your activities seem to be true. The [encounter] bears the traditional colors of the Guild.
- You no longer doubt the involvement of the Mages' Guild in this quest. Obviously, the [encounter] was sent by them to stop you at all costs.
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls Travels: Shadowkey
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls Online