Magicka is the energy used to cast spells in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The option to increase Magicka can be selected upon each level up. Upon depletion, the blue bar glows bright, and spells cannot be cast until a sufficient total is reached again. Magicka is replenished by consuming potions, waiting, sleeping, leveling up, or fast-traveling. Armor and magically enchanted clothing can fortify the rate at which magicka regenerates or increase the total summation of Magicka. If in combat, magicka actually regenerates slower than when out of combat, somewhere around 33 percent of what normal magicka regeneration would be. Lightning spells from the Destruction school of Magicka damage both health and magicka. Poisons made through the Alchemy skill can potentially wound magicka or its regeneration rate — sometimes both. Magic is the transmutation of magicka into a physical force.
Origin of Magicka[edit | edit source]
There are many theories as to where magicka comes from. According to a legend, Magicka is what is left of Magnus' power when he was all but destroyed in the creation of the mortal plane. It is likely that Magicka is also made up of the residual power of the other creators of Nirn. Other theories include that when Magnus created Mundus, he unintentionally tore a hole into Aetherius, with his lesser deities opening smaller cracks, which allowed magicka to flow through stars. Others explain as being accumulated life-force of dead organisms, which mages tap to convert into magical spells, and so on.
Restoration[edit | edit source]
- Consume potions.
- Rest by waiting, sleeping, or fast traveling.
- Level up.
- As time passes, it will go faster if wearing certain gear that have Fortify Magic Enchantment
- Eating a Homecooked Meal will also increase the rate of regeneration.
- Using the Equilibrium spell
Items[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Gear that uses fortify magicka can be worn to instantly gain more magicka; taking off the gear and putting it back on during combat will allow the Dragonborn to regain magicka equal to the enchantment of the items without having to wait.
- Activating a Shrine of Akatosh will enable Magicka to regenerate 10% faster for eight hours.
- Activating a Shrine of Julianos will increase Magicka by 25 points for eight hours.
- If the Dragonborn is an Altmer with the Atronach Stone's blessing, it is possible to obtain 1,000 magicka if every level up is used on magicka.
- With the release of Patch 1.9, the level cap is removed, and unlimited magicka level ups can be gained.