Mehrunes' Razor, also known as The Dagger of the Final Wounds, Bane of the Righteous and Kingslayer, is a Daedric artifact found in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The dagger is one of the artifacts and namesakes of Mehrunes Dagon.
It is a small black and silver dagger with the Daedric character for the letter "O," engraved halfway along the scabbard. The blade itself is unique, sporting a curved crossguard, a black metal inset inside the blade, and a pommel stone unique only to this dagger.
Two individuals are completely immune to the instant kill effect, however. They are Miraak and Karstaag—both part of the Dragonborn add-on.[note 2] Furthermore, the Ebony WarriorDR can reflect the instant kill back onto the player if it activates on the hit triggering his reflect blows heavy armor perk.
Mehrunes' Razor is obtained upon completion of the quest "Pieces of the Past." It will only be awarded if the Dragonborn chooses to kill Silus Vesuius. Otherwise, a grateful Silus will head safely back to his museum and place the Razor's fragments into a sealed display case which can't be interacted with.
The Razor itself is composed of the following pieces:
- Pommel Stone of Mehrunes' Razor – Held by Drascua in Dead Crone Rock.
- Hilt of Mehrunes' Razor – Located in Jorgen and Lami's House in Morthal.
- Shards of Mehrunes' Razor – Kept by Ghunzul in Cracked Tusk Keep.
- Scabbard of Mehrunes' Razor – Kept by Silus Vesuius himself in the Mythic Dawn Museum.
The Razor can be upgraded with an Ebony Ingot and the Arcane Blacksmith perk, however it does not benefit from any Smithing perks. This means that the weapon cannot be improved past flawless quality without boosting the Smithing skill over 100. This can be achieved by using enchanted items and/or smithing potions to fortify Smithing.
Its lightweight quality and 1.98% chance to instantly kill any opponent makes the Razor a useful weapon for all classes or styles of play. It is more effective when equipped on the left hand while dual wielding blades, because, during a power attack, the left arm swings twice whereas the right arm swings once.
- According to legend, it is believed that the Dark Brotherhood was once decimated by a vicious internal power struggle that involved the Razor.
- Approaching a guard with the Razor will prompt them to whistle and respond "Who did you have to kill to get that blade?"
- Along with the Skull of Corruption, it is possible to miss out on the Razor if the Dragonborn refuses Dagon's request to kill Silus. Therefore, it is possible to miss the Oblivion Walker achievement/trophy if another Daedric Artifact has been missed.
This section contains bugs related to Mehrunes' Razor (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Fire Storm or Voice of the Emperor while facing the display case will sometimes cause the item to glitch out of the case. Casting
- Hjerim makes it impossible to retrieve it without console commands. Storing Mehrunes' Razor, (or any dagger), inside the dagger cases in the bedroom of
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- ↑ The DA07MehrunesRazorMagicEffectScript script reveals the enchantment grants a 1 percent chance to kill the target. However it uses the RandomInt() that generates a number between 0 and 100 and if the number is <=1 it kills the target, hence the % to kill is 1.98%.
- ↑ Game data shows both are part of the "Characters Immune to Mehrunes Razor" faction.