History[edit | edit source]
Nettlebane is the only weapon old enough to cut through the bark of the Eldergleam Tree, since the tree is older than the existence of metal itself, and thus is unharmed by any other weapons. Danica Pure-Spring needs the sap from the Eldergleam to restore the Gildergreen Tree in the center of Whiterun's Wind District to its original glory.
Acquisition[edit | edit source]
Nettlebane can be obtained at Orphan Rock from a hagraven during the quest "The Blessings of Nature." The hagraven is sacrificing a number of spriggans with the blade and is defended by several hags and witches. Once obtained from the hagraven, the Dragonborn must bring the blade back to Danica Pure-Spring. She then sends the Dragonborn to Eldergleam Sanctuary to obtain Eldergleam Sap.
Smithing[edit | edit source]
Enchanting[edit | edit source]
Nettlebane cannot be enchanted at an arcane enchanter.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It does not deal any additional damage to spriggans, despite being used to sacrifice them by the hagraven.
- After showing Nettlebane to Asta in the Eldergleam Sanctuary, she will warn the Dragonborn not to harm the tree, saying "Nothing good can come of it." This foreshadows the spriggan ambush after retrieving the Eldergleam Sap.
- Unlike most daggers, Nettlebane cannot be gifted to an adopted child in Hearthfire.
- Nettlebane is visually similar to the ebony dagger, but is slightly green-colored and has a root-like pattern on the blade. However, it weighs more and is worth less. When equipped, it will make the same sound as an iron dagger, glass dagger, and Dragon Priest Dagger, whereas the standard ebony dagger will make the sound of one-handed swords.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
This section contains bugs related to Nettlebane. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Sometimes, when Nettlebane is stored in a dagger rack, it cannot be retrieved.
- When Nettlebane is stored in a dagger rack, it may float to the sides or fall out.
- When Nettlebane is stored on a weapon rack or a display case, it might vanish.
- When Nettlebane is reverse pickpocketed into an NPC's inventory it becomes a pair of Glass Gauntlets or occasionally an Ebony Helmet, both of which are retrievable, but are not able to be improved on a workbench.