Orchendor is a Bosmer mage in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and the primary antagonist of the quest "The Only Cure," having taken up residence deep within Bthardamz. He is also mentioned in the Afflicted's Note found in the upper portion of Bthardamz.
Orchendor was a priest of Peryite, aiding him in spreading disease and creating the Afflicted. He eventually decided to cease working for the Daedric Prince, which prompted Peryite to seek the Dragonborn and solicit them in ridding Nirn of the unfaithful priest.
In combat, Orchendor is unique in that unlike other mages, he will teleport to a nearby place or to a different floor of the same room after taking a few hits. He becomes temporarily invulnerable at the time of performing the teleportation. Due to his ability to teleport, Orchendor has 100% magic resistance, making him immune to fire, frost damage, and shock spells, as well as absorption effects. He is also immune to paralysis effects, such as Ice Form and Paralyze, as well as all shouts except Drain Vitality, Soul Tear, and Bend Will. As such, it is best to completely forgo directly offensive spells.
Orchendor's arsenal includes standard Destruction spells, particularly favoring frost. If the Dragonborn tries to fight him at a low level, it may be very difficult to beat him due to him being a unique and powerful destruction mage. Orchendor can be best defeated by:
- Using frost and other element resistance enchantments;
- Using conjured followers to deal and tank damage; and
- Using stealth to deal critical damage and avoid attacks.
Orchendor's unique ability to teleport can be prevented by making leave his living quarters and luring him to the area with dwarven spiders. When he attempts to teleport, he will still benefit from temporary invulnerability but will have remained in the same location. Also, when Orchendor teleports, he will no longer be aware of the Dragonborn's location, allowing them to capitalize on sneak attacks.
- If the Dragonborn can make use of the Dead Thrall spell, Orchendor is an excellent reanimation candidate and one of a few very powerful Thrall options.
- All of those affiliated with Orchendor pronounce his name differently. Peryite (as well as a few Afflicted) pronounce it as "Ore-CHEN-door," some Afflicted say it as "ORCH-n-door," while others pronounce it as "ORC-en-door." Some Afflicted even pronounce it differently in the same paragraph.
- Orchendor wears random, leveled armor on his hands and feet, giving him some protection against melee damage and arrows.
- A kill camera may trigger when a normally lethal blow is about to hit Orchendor, despite him being temporarily invulnerable and teleporting away.
- Atronachs will not use elemental damage against Orchendor and will instead use melee attacks.
This section contains bugs related to Orchendor. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If Orchendor is one of the Dragonborn's Dead Thralls, casting Call to Arms will cause him to become hostile.confirmation needed
- Fight in another room and he will not teleport.confirmation needed
- If one uses Dead Thrall on Orchendor, he is sometimes able to be killed with Destruction magic.confirmation needed
- If a Ring of Peerless Destruction is taken off Orchendor, there may be a typo reading: Ring of Peerless Destruction.confirmation needed
- If the Dragonborn is sneaking and performs a successful sneak attack, he may become friendly.confirmation needed