The Penitus Oculatus (Skyrim) is a non-joinable faction in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. After the fall and disbanding of the Blades and the signing of the White-Gold Concordat, the Penitus Oculatus were created to serve as the Empire's security and law enforcers, as well the emperors bodyguards.
During the Stormcloak Rebellion, the organization was led by Commander Maro and his second in command and son, Gaius Maro. Agents of the Penitus Oculatus only appear in Skyrim outside of their outpost in Dragon Bridge during the Dark Brotherhood questline, after the Dark Brotherhood is contacted by Amaund Motierre to assassinate Titus Mede II, the Emperor of Cyrodiil during the time of the Last Dragonborn. Respawning Penitus Oculatus agents can be encountered in Solitude and Castle Dour during the events of To Kill an Empire, and inside of the Falkreath Sanctuary during the events of Death Incarnate.
The Penitus Oculatus also appear in The Infernal City. Known members include, but are not limited to:
Penitus Oculatus Agents can be encountered as Battlemages, Warriors, and Archers, and are all equipped in their signature armor. Battlemages are equipped with an Imperial Sword and a selection of low-level spells. Archers are equipped with an Imperial Bow, Iron Arrows, and an Iron Dagger. Warriors wield an Imperial Sword and an Imperial Shield.
- After completing To Kill an Empire, two Penitus Oculatus Agents will start guarding the entrance to Castle Dour alongside the regular Imperial guards.If the agents are shot with a bow, they will almost instantly be turned on and butchered by the guards surrounding them, meaning that the Penitus Oculatus faction may not be allied with the Guard or Imperial Legion faction in-game.
- A Corrupt Penitus Oculatus Agent is a possible contact during The Dark Brotherhood Forever.
- The Penitus Oculatus (and possibly the Blades) are likely based on the Praetorian guard, a force in the Roman empire formed to protect the emperor.
- Penitus Oculatus is Latin for "Inner Eye".
- After the Dark Brotherhood questline, some of the remaining Penitus Oculatus can be killed without acquiring a bounty. Strangely enough, the town guards assist in killing them. They are also immobile and respawn. They will not attack if the Dragonborn approaches them, but will appear as enemies.
- If the Stormcloaks take Solitude, several non-hostile Penitus Oculatus Agents can be found around the city. Attacking them may incur a bounty, but the guards will not intervene.
- After the Dark Brotherhood questline, 2 or 3 agents may appear stuck on the staircase at the end of the path followed out of the Emperor's Tower. They will appear as enemies, but they won't react to attacks, and killing them doesn't result in a bounty.
- Fast travel isn't allowed while inside Solitude until they're killed.
- The Ebony Mail poison may or may not damage them.
- Two agents may remain outside Castle Dour at either side of the door when the Dark Brotherhood (Skyrim) questline is completed.
- If the Civil War questline is not complete/started, the agents may appear alongside the regular Imperial soldiers.