- The helm is worn by Penitus Oculatus Agents or found in areas they occupy, such as the Penitus Oculatus Outpost.
The Penitus Oculatus Helmet can be upgraded at a workbench with Leather; however, it does not benefit from any smithing perks. This means the armor cannot be improved past flawless quality without boosting the Smithing skill over 100. This can be achieved by using enchanted items and/or blacksmithing potions to Fortify Smithing.
- The helmet's design is based on an early Roman legionary helmet, maintaining the Roman theme of the Empire.
- Khajiit players, hair styles disappear and the helmet is invisible when it is worn. This bug does not appear to have any negative effects.
- Taking off the helmet should return the character to normal.
- The helmet can be worn with any circlet, accruing any enchantments gained from the circlet in addition to the armor rating and potential enchantments of the helmet.
- The helmet can also be worn with the Dragon Priest Masks.
- If worn with a Dragon Priest Mask, then the Nightingale Hood is equipped, both the Penitus Oculatus helmet and the Hood can be worn, and possibly other helmets as well. However, this will cause only the Penitus Oculatus helmet to be visible, as the rest of the head will become invisible.