Plautis Carvain is a rich nobleman who travels around Skyrim with his wife Salonia Carvain and one bodyguard. They are on their way to Vittoria's wedding in Solitude. Due to the couples' name and their high social status, it is possible that he is a descendant of Narina Carvain, the Countess of Bruma in Oblivion.
It is possible to meet him and Salonia, as well as their bodyguard walking outside of Windhelm, worried about being late for the wedding. If you speak with Plautis he will call you Skyrim scum and tell you to go away. You can tell him you are going to rob him, but he will run away and call for help.
It is also possible to encounter Platuis and Salonia outside of Solitude near Dragon's Bridge where the player can hear Platuis telling Salonia that the wedding will help their influence in Skyrim.
It is also possible to meet Plautis, along with Salonia, in the wilderness, wearing rags and commenting about having been attacked by bandits. Plautis will claim that their bodyguard was eaten by a dragon.
Effects of Player Actions
- If the player is caught picking Plautis' pockets, Plautis says something about being able to forgive the crime, and the player will not be arrested or attacked; however, some time later three Hired Thugs will confront the player in the wilderness. On their corpses can be found a contract which states that Plautis has sent them to "... teach a lesson to the thief, [Player's name]. You need not kill him, but I have no qualms about it if you deem it necessary."
- The player doesn't have to be caught picking his pockets for this to happen
- If killed he and his wife can be looted for valuable items, and killing him won't be counted on the player's crime record.
- Cyrodilic Brandy's only official location is on Plautis Carvain, so you might want to kill/pickpocket the brandy if you're a collector.
- If Healing Hands or Heal Other is cast on them then they will become hostile, and the player will have to kill them in self defense - likely aided by any nearby guards. This could be a bug, but could also be the result of them believing that you are wasting their time.