Retribution is a Knight Order quest available during the events of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. The Agent, after joining one of the ten Knight Orders of the Iliac Bay, must kill a traitor, holed up in a local dungeons.
After completing several quests for one of the ten Knight Orders of the Iliac Bay, the Agent will be accepted into said Order. From that point on they will have to make their way up the internal rank ladder to gain more lucrative and noteworthy quests, to improve their reputation.
- Speak with a Quester from a joined Knight Order.
- Journey to and enter the specified dungeon.
- Track down the traitor, a nightblade, and kill them.
- Escape the dungeon and get back to the Quester before the time limit expires.
Having gained membership to one of the ten Knight Orders of the Iliac Bay, the Agent will be told of a traitor to the Order. This traitor, now posing as a nightblade, has fled the Order and hidden themselves in a local dungeon. The Agent is duly tasked with killing the traitor on behalf of the Order, an "honorable" feat.
The Agent must journey to and then enter the specified dungeon, fighting through the familiar asortment of creatures and enemies. Several other nightblades may be found during the Agent's search, and the only way of knowing which nightblade is the target is when they are killed. Notification of their death appears as a message.
Once the target nightblade lies dead, the Agent must escape from the dungeon and return to the Quester before the time limit expires.
The Agent will not receive any physical reward for completing the quest successfully, but will instead get a boost to their reputation. The penalties for failing the quest remain true to a usual quest:
|Retribution - b0b00y01|
The [knightly order] in [town] has sent me to find and slay a Nightblade called [traitor's name] in [his/her] hideout, [dungeon]. I have [x] days to accomplish this.
- The Traitor is a near-identical quest available to the Agent before they join a Knight Order.
- When asked for any news, NPCs will make a variety of comments relating to the quest:
- "That nightblade ran off to [dungeon] like the hounds of hell were behind him."
- "[Quester's name] can't just let [traitor's name] go after what [he/she] did to the [knightly order]."
- "[Traitor's name]'s story just proves it. You don't play around with the [knightly order]."
- "I always thought the Order would be more merciful to a dolt like [traitor's name]."
- "[Traitor's name] is apparently tougher than [Quester's name] thought. What an escape."
- "[Traitor's name] has moved north I hear, but [his/her] memory still plagues the order."
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Knight Orders|
|Allies of Daggerfall||Knights of the Dragon • Knights of the Owl|
|Allies of Wayrest||Knights of the Flame • Knights of the Rose • Order of the Raven|
|Allies of Sentinel||Host of the Horn • Knights of the Hawk • Knights of the Wheel • Order of the Candle • Knights of the Scarab|
|Non-member Quests||The Traitor • The Hunter • Band of Orcs • Pest Control|
|Member Quests||Rescue a Princess • Retribution • Crazed Orc Mercenary • The Orcish Hoard • The Orc Raids • Giant Raiding • Banish the Ghost • Eternal Rest|
|Elite Member Quests||The Dragonslayer • Invasion from Oblivion • Artifact of Power • The Army of the Undead • The Lost Artifact|